Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Groomer board - help me choose
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
neni
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by behi View Post
I don't know what bindings you are using, but the bindings also makes a huge difference in shock absorption/dampening. Might be something else to look at (and may skew your testing of different boards)...
Ride Fame (on both, the Flagship and Raptor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
neni, how did you find the raptor in comparison to your flagship? ie: did you like/notice the rocker in the middle vs the camber in the middle? I think thats the biggest decision to make when getting a groomer board....
Oh yes, there was a huge difference and it's pretty hard to decide, if I liked it or not
Carving with the Flagship needs a lot of work: if I don't use all my force in the legs, I wash out and there's almost no pop. It's great on perfect conditions, but if there are bumps, you'll lift off if not riding very low and if it's hardpack, I don't manage to make decent carves anymore. There's no detectable camber in the middle, it's just flat, so I wouldn't count it as a valid camber vs. rocker comparison candidate.

On the Raptor, carving was very easy, as soon as I got used to the amount of acceleration IN the carve "wow... wait for me!". I had no sore muscles in the legs (like with the Flagship) but in the back from stabilyzing the upper body Made the deepest carves ever and enjoyed this a lot! Pure fun! But while riding straight line, I didn't like the wiggly feeling of the rocker... made me feel insecure. To be fair, the Raptor with its 164 was far too long, might be a different story, if its a shorter one never ridden a shorter rocker so far.

Comparing both Flagship and Raptor to my former traditional camber Custom X (about 145): I remember nasty catapult falls when the Custom X got its nose dug in while carving. I guess, the lifted nose of the Flagship/Raptor prevents this problem, cause it never was an issue with this boards. But then, it's long time ago I've been on the Custom X and maybe it might not be an issue today anymore.

All in all, I'm looking for a board with this "acceleration in the carve" quality like the Raptor

Last edited by neni; 03-18-2013 at 06:11 AM.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote