Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Scorpioned while flat basing and now I can't anymore
View Single Post
post #132 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 AM
East告de
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Interesting observation Nenni. I agree witht he Raptor. I find the NS as well as Mervin C2, pretty spooky flat basing on packed but I actually feel much better flat basing on traditional camber. I am shooting in the dark here but I am attributin this to the fact that with traditional camber, when flat based, I actually have four contact points engaged with the snow. On my Billy Goat and the the Neversummer boards, if I am flat based, its like riding balanced on a bowling ball with the rocker under the pivot point of the board and all four contact points floating above the snow in the air.

The only way I flat base on these profiles is very nose heavy to ride the front half of the board in order to keep two contact points engaged with the snow or in a full tail press. never ever centered.
That's EXACTLY how I felt yesterday. I'd go flat on the Evo and immediately feel unsafe ( hardpack over ice, some loose granular pushed around unevenly by skiers). I literally felt like I was trying to stand on one of those big bouncy workout balls.. The nose wanted to go one way, then the tail, to the point where I realized it was just not safe to ride like that. I made it across the flat fine putting some slight heel pressure and if I did start slowing down I shifted my weight over the nose. No matter how much I WANTED to be totally flat, my board and body kept telling me it was a bad idea.

That being said, I wonder how I'd feel if I was riding a Mod Rocker or a Buckwild or any other mostly flat based board. I can't really compare to camber as I haven't ridden camber in so long I don't even remember what it feels like. I know on my 09 GNU DK (full rocker) it has even less contact than the Evo and there's no shot of that happening on this coast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX