Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - REVIEW; Neversummer Raptor 156
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #164 (permalink)
scottyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
This thread is of interest to me since I am jumping into NS. I am just not sure which board. I am between the SL, Heritage, and now considering the Raptor. I have been riding for a total of 6-seasons, and the past 2-seasons I have been riding a bit more aggressive and getting a feel for flatland tricks and taking rollers. I would be coming from a 155 Burton G-Twin. I mostly ride East Coast (Blue, Jack Frost, etc.) but do a yearly trips to Maine and have explored out West like Flagstaff, AZ and parts of Canada. At this point, it looks like the SL may be more my flavor since that's their "jack of all trades" board, but the Heritage and Raptor do seem mighty appealing for the aggressive rider who likes to carve, and the carbonium top sheet seems like a stellar thing to have.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any further input to help sway my decision. I am already pretty sure I will invest in the Proto CT since that is a true twin, but would like another board as well. From the reviews on here, it seems the Heritage would give me less chatter versus the SL and Raptor when hitting bumps?
If you want a true twin, spend time in the park jibbing and the like, or riding switch a lot the Raptor isn't for you. However I think the Raptor could be a great fit for you on the East Coast ice. As far as flat ground tricks, the Raptor isn't going to have enough flex for easy buttering but if you are just looking at ollie'ing or hitting rollers, the Raptor does that great and has a lot of pop for jumps. It is an agressive hard charging board that can power through any snow condition with relative ease if the rider is intermediate or above.

If you are looking to jib and butter on the flats but still want some good off piste performace I would look into the Proto CT or Cobra. In fact, the Cobra may be exactly what you are looking for since it also has the Carbonium top sheet you want. The Cobra's stance is very slightly set back but that will serve you well if you are wanting to get more aggressive.

I have ridden both the Cobra and the Raptor and for serious mountain-slaying speed and stability (which I love and adore) the Raptor is definitely the stick of choice. The Cobra was more playful and I could really swing it around but I felt like it had a governor on it when it came to speed and stability. The Cobra was definitely more of a jibber but still held up great in the pow and all mountain stuff.
scottyroo is offline   Reply With Quote