Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Rockies Condition reports
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #191 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Default Fernie Kimberley early this week

Was at Kimberley Monday, Fernie Tuesday... Kim was crusty/hardpack. Some of the groomers weren't bad but it that was a day at Nakiska I would have gone home. Luckily the hill was empty to what boarding we did do was very relaxed.

Fernie had reports of almost two feet of powder, and blue skies on Tuesday. I went expecting to have my best day of the year, and it was damn good but it wasn't "epic" (I hate that word anyway). There was real good fresh snow in most of the bowls, but the high alpine stuff was windblown and crusty. We went up polar peak a few times, and the bowl on the left (facing up) had tons of pretty good snow, but the chutes on the right were the worst I've ever seen.

I also hiked out off the whitepass quad onto the knot chutes, and they were crusty with about 4" of fresh on them. Spotted a little rock ollie/cliff drop on one of the chutes, tried to hit it only to realize it was just windblown ice above it. Nearly tumbled over the rocks at one point!

Here's the GF working on her carving skills at Kimberley... glad I brought the DSLR out!

poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote