Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Sedition`s Equipment Guides
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
sedition
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default How Much Should I Spend on a Board (DRAFT)

I. How Much Should I spend on a Board

a. Boots: Ok, lets forget about boards for a moment. There is something much more important; boots. Before you buy ANYTHING, you want to by boots. Not all boots are compatible with all bindings. Thus, you want to buy your boots before you bindings so you wont end up with a bad fitting boot/binding combination. Next, remember what I said about big feet and wide boards? If you buy a regular board, and then realize you need bigger boots than you thought, you might now need a WIDE board. Better hope you kept that sales receipt and the shop will take returns. So, make sure you get boots first. These will dictate if you need a wide board or not, and will also be a factor in deciding what type of bindings to purchase. Last time: BUY BOOTS BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE!!!

Make sure you get yourself a good set of Boots and Bindings! Your boots and bindings are the link to your board and should not be an afterthought to your deck. They are primarily responsible for the level of comfort you experience while riding. Make sure that they are comfortable. An extra $50 on boots and bindings can often make a significant difference in performance and comfort. The different between a $490 snowboard and a $440 snowboard, however, is usually not very significant. If you are a on a limited budget, take money out of your snowboard pot and using it to upgrade to better boots and bindings.

b. BOARDS:
Just because a board is more expensive doesn’t necessarily mean it is a better board when compared lower priced decks. It’s really sad to see a new rider drop $600 on a new board (before bindings and boots!) just because he thinks that an expensive board will make him ride better. Buying Shaun White’s pro model board won’t give you the ability to hit back-to-back 720s in the pipe at the US Open. Sorry.

In fact, the reality is that high-end, expensive board may even HURT your riding. Expensive boards at the top of a manufacture’s line are typically advanced, aggressive models that are intended for more experienced boarders. A new rider who drops $600 on a stiff, aggressive freeride board, for example, is going to have a hard time learning to link turns and utilize proper technique.

FAQ CONTINUES AT THE "What’s the difference between freeride boards, freestyle boards, etc?" THREAD

Much of this information was paraphrased from an article written by Chris Uriarte, Mark Helwig and David O’Malley. Some of it is even directly quoted from them. We are taking no credit for being the original authors of this work, and give credit to Chris, Mark and David. Thanks, guys

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society