Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Board Recommendation
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Board Gadget
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Board Recommendation

I have been snowboarding for one year. Last year my 4 kids and I got the stoke. So, I ended up buying a ton of gear during a really mild winter in Minnesota at discounted prices. My kids range in age from 7 to 15 so this was not cheap. We bought heavily discounted brands at Sports Authority. For now my younger kids are riding Sims and that is just the way it is going to be. They just are growing too fast to buy something expensive. My two older buys ended up on a Rome and a K2 because they have stopped growing.

After buying 5 boards, 5 helmets, 5 sets of bindings, etc. My board had to be a Sims also. I purchased the Sims Protocol pictured below with boots and bindings for $160.00 new last March.

Sims Protocol Board: 157
Sims Boots: Mens Size 8, I think I should wear a 7 1/2 though.
Sims Bindings
Male
Height: 5' 5"
Weight: 200

I am an intermediate rider. Riding for one year. I can handle black diamonds in Minnesota. I ride groomers only and may take a trip out west next year for POW. No park, no jumps. We have a lot of poor choppy icy conditions in Minnesota. Edge hold is a big deal for me because I am 45. I can't be injured.

My board knowledge and understanding of the tech needs to improve. Some people on this forum are savants when it comes to tech. I do know I rode my sons Rome Garage Rocker with Union Bindings and it felt different. I could feel every lump of snow under the board and it was very flexible.

I need your opinions on the current board I own. Is the technology in this board holding me back or can I ride it another year without issue? Should my board be shorter? With my skill level would I notice a jump in skill level with a better board? If so, I would like to know your recommendations on a new board and length, bindings, boots?

I think this board will work for me for another year but I need input. It is a Sims. Not exactly a lot of reviews out there But if I run into a smokin' deal I want to be prepared. I do like the wood Arbors and I am curious about the Never Summer boards.

Thanks guys. Interested in what you have to say.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sims Protocol.JPG (172.3 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by Board Gadget; 03-23-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Board Gadget is online now   Reply With Quote