Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Colorado Conditions, Meet ups and General Talk Thread

644K views 8K replies 303 participants last post by  bseracka 
#1 ·
I know it's early, but damn, we need some snow.

Colorado | OpenSnow

That shit looks like a repeat of last season.

#1,429 ·
It's starting to look like winter @ LL pass.

Atmospheric phenomenon Sky Hill station Snow Winter

Visibility sucked. It was even worse on the ridge but the riding was awesome today. It was deep up top and the lower bits around the creek and leading back to the road are looking a lot better than a week ago.

If we get a little sun tomorrow I might have to sneak off for a couple hours for a few laps.

#1,431 ·
looks like a good storm on the way.

Saturday November 2nd 2013 8:52am MDT

By Meteorologist Joel Gratz
Saturday is going to be a perfect day for all of Colorado. Enjoy the new snow underfoot and blue skies above!

The next storm will send out a warning shot on Sunday afternoon, but the main push will wait until Monday afternoon through Monday night, with lingering snow on Tuesday and Wednesday. Here are the details...

+ On Sunday night, a band of snow along a cold front will push over northern and central Colorado. Steamboat has the best chance to see meaningful snow (2-4?) with other mountains along I-70 and south to Aspen and perhaps even the central mountains around Crested Butte and Monarch seeing a quick 1-3 inches. This the first wave of energy from the storm.

+ On Monday, most areas will be cloudy, windy, and dry. We'll be in between the energy that pushed through Sunday night and the main storm that will still be to our west.

+ Expect the heaviest snow from late Monday afternoon through Monday night. Many areas will see about 4-8 inches during this time. If the moisture and storm energy phases at just the right time, most mountains will see great accumulations. If the moisture and energy phase too far to the east, some mountains will be skipped and will experience lower accumulations. The newest models are not in agreement, so we'll have to wait another day at least before gaining more confidence about this part of the storm.

+ Tuesday will be moist and cold with lingering snow showers. Tuesday night should be dry for most areas, then...

+ ...Wednesday will bring another shot of northwest flow with the mountains along and north of I-70 seeing the best chance of heavier snow. About 2-4 inches is a good bet this far out, but if things come together perfectly, it could be more.

- See more at: http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado#sthash.NcLqQ8lt.dpuf

#1,435 ·
1 day out 1 powder day! Ha!

Evidently somebody buried a ski under a branch or something at Bert yesterday. Broke their c 6&7 as a result of the crash. The guy posting said his partner is likely paralyzed. Hoping this is not true. I have no reason to doubt what Chuck posted as exaggerated.

Just a reminder that the snow pack is still shallow. Pick your pow shots wisely. Think grassy terrain that doesn't take much coverage. Ride conservative if you get in more technical terrain. Avalanches are not the only danger. Of course this can happen at anytime of the year. Later in the season though it tends to be more forgiving is all.

+++ vibes to the injured. Hoping he fully recovers. Either way it sounds like a long road ahead of him.

#1,436 ·
Friday @ Keystone was great, yesterday....not so much. Saw a lot of sleds going down. Couldn't believe how many beginners were on the hill. Right when you get off the gondola theres a sign that say 'no easy way down.' :dunno: By mid-day you needed ice skates to get down.

Looks like tomorrow and Tuesday will be the days to ride.

#1,441 ·
It is pretty insane how bad the ice gets on river run just after that mid mountain gondola loading spot.Like 3 or 4 runs feed into the final wide groomer leading down to the river run bridge. The funny thing is how so many beginner runs end on this stretch however its actually a pretty steep grade. Still a mellow grade for anyone on this forum I'm sure but I've heard countless beginners express their fear of that stretch. So what you end up with is a stretch of snow that sees more activity than anywhere else on the mountain. All that activity is beginners just trying to make it down alive (Murdering any top snow with pizzas and falling leaves). This decently steep ice-slide sends you into what is probably a huge group of sheeple crowding around a bunch of gates and slow signs. Plus depending on the time of year, because of the face of the mountain that run is on, around 1:45pm-2pm its no longer getting any sunlight. So while other areas of the mountain are getting a little softer from the mid-day sun river run is getting a little harder :D BEWARE THE RIVER RUN

#1,439 ·
Not sure thats too much of a concern at the resorts, but if the out of bounds stuff is like that too its going to be a sketchy av season for sure.

Anyone ride Copper yesterday? I'm trying to decide if I want to swing over there or have a beach day at the basin today.

#1,440 ·
Copper was pretty nice all day yesterday(at least until around 1). Quite soft in some spots still. There were some slick hard pack spots(as there will be early season with one run open), but you can usually see them coming from a mile away. Lift lines weren't bad at all, even during the 9-10AM rush hour, I didn't wait more than 10 minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.