Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

stevens pass

20K views 200 replies 19 participants last post by  jtg 
#1 ·
so i will prob be going this fri. i wanna ask those of u that board there how busy is it on fri or how busy should it be this friday? i know u guys dont wanna give up ur secret stash, but it would be nice if u could let me know some runs i need to hit up. hoping there is some deep powder.

#129 · (Edited)
Doesn't it depend on the terrain? It seems like there is no reason why one can't learn in the backcountry if they choose their location carefully. I realize that this is probably not anywhere near walking distance from stevens though.

I've heard some resorts say that part of the reason for the change in boundary enforcement is because they technically have no right to say who can and can't go on public land. Which makes sense. I'm sure part of it also has to do with drawing more people to the resorts as well though. But if I want to leave your resort, you can't take my ticket away...that's BS.

#131 ·
But if I want to leave your resort, you can't take my ticket away...that's BS.
If you are using the lifts to access the bc then they can

heres bakers rules, alpy is similar but you have to stop by patrol and prove you have the knowledge to go along with your gear.

If you leave the ski area boundary into the backcountry or re-enter the ski area from the backcountry, you must have all of the following or you will lose your ski area privileges:

1. Avalanche transceiver and demonstrated ability to use it
2. A partner
3. Shovel
4. Knowledge of the terrain and your ability
5. Avalanche knowledge
6. Knowledge of local avalanche conditions;
• know this winter’s snowpack layers
• know the recent snowfall & type
• know current NWAC forecast
• know today’s weather forecast (snowfall, temperature & visibility)

Probes and Handi-com radios are recommended.

Killclimbs i know you have toured around stevens not sure how much lift accessed bc you did, most boundary areas at stevens have no ropes, no gates just signs on some trees. cross in and out as you please. In the past only a small group of locals ventured past the boundaries and only a few issues happened. Stevens had the reputation of being "too flat" for hard core skiers who headed to baker alpy crystal. With the increase of popularity of bc skiing and a lot of marketing from stevens, it is now seen as a pow destination. Honestly you have better chance of getting lost/stuck at stevens and spending the night in the snow than being in an avy, ether way the bc can kill you.

As for beginners in the backcountry, i feel you should be able to handle any terrain your in with ease. If shit get serious you need to be able to handle it. I have a couple super mellow zones i'll take some people, but even there a wrong turn can put you in a steep gully that would eat all but experienced riders. Hiking out would be the suck.

#130 ·
As long as your leave through an appropriate gate or the ski area has an open boundary policy, they should not be taking your pass.

The uneducated guys you see walking from BC runs on the pass, most likely have no idea the situation they are putting themselves into. I know it's crazy, but even with all the awareness we have pushed around Berthoud Pass, I still see a ton of people without gear and not a clue as to what they are doing.

Typically if I get to chat with those groups, I give them my FOBP card and encourage them to check us out. Hopefully they will continue to either get on relatively safe backcountry terrain, or continue to get lucky. You can only lead a horse to water.

Also, keep in mind that most of the avalanche fatalities that have happened in the last few years, the victims have had education and gear. Of course they knew what the consequences were versus these other groups who may have no idea what they are getting into.

#135 ·
No shit, I totally agree. What would it have cost them to run "one more chair" (Jupiter), they pissed off more people then anything else. The dude clearing off the load ramp at the bottom off the chair, was yelling at everyone on the chair to call the lodge and demand they open the Jupiter chair.

I'll be there tomorrow as well, NOAA says 4-8" with higher amounts at Stevens, and KING5 Jeff Renner said up to a possible FOOT.

Hope my old thighs can handle it, with a fresh hot tube soak and a couple advil, i should be ready for tomorrow

#145 ·
theres a saddle on the ridge between the two lifts, super short hike though, 100yds on a cat track. So many good lines off the front between DD and Tye. Chief Bowl is probably the easiest way down. Patrol used to let us hike up the ridge from tye early season before DD was open.
I've never been off any lines on that side except for right under the tye chairlift. I'd love to get shown a few lines on that side. I really shoulda tried DB on one of the pow days.

#146 ·
I've never been off any lines on that side except for right under the tye chairlift. I'd love to get shown a few lines on that side. I really shoulda tried DB on one of the pow days.
Careful between Tye Bowl and Shims, tons of places you can get yourself on top of a cliff when you don't wanna be. I still don't even know that zone as well as I should. Probably the last inbounds spot I hadn't gotten to know really well. Fun stuff, just beware of the multiple cliff bands.

#150 · (Edited)
Lots of cliffy areas off of the ridge, hard to scope from any angle. Start exploring, be ready to hike out

Slow soft Slushy spring days, time to huck your meat in the park.

How late is Stevens spinning lifts. It was first weekend of may last year.

One ball jay black magic summer slush wax is the best.

#168 ·
I just use the OBJ 4x4 red wax. Worked pretty good for me all day on Wednesday in the 60 degree sun and slush at Snoqualmie. Just remember not scrape, or scrape very lightly. The mountain will do it for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.