Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - To wear or not to wear a Helm?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #309 (permalink)
The Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo_dom View Post
On Saturday we had some of the worst conditions i have ever boarded on. 15 degrees Celsius on the mountain the previous day, melting most of the top layer, then an incredibly cold night and 0 degrees on Satuday, refreezing that melted layer into a rock hard ice pack. Not just some runs, but every single run was like this. And even at 4:30pm, there was no slush built up, just slick, noisy ice.

Worst conditions may be subjective though, because of the lack of moguls/bumps it meant that every run could be bombed faster than i have ever ridden before.

However my wife was not enjoying it so much. Caught a heel edge a couple of times and not even padded shorts could save her from nasty bruises. And after hitting her head once (mild concussion), she has finally agreed "I want a helmet"

She was dead set against helmets until that fall (said that they were ugly, and that only pros need them)... and i feel bad, but i am almost happy she fell. Feel much safer with her having maximum protection possible.
This is often the case with the anti-helmet crowd. You don't want one until you or someone close to you falls, hits your/their head and nearly suffers a really, really serious injury.

And for every dozen or so people who get EXTREMELY LUCKY, who hit their heads on the snow and don't suffer major damage, there's one or two boarders who are unlucky, suffer a traumatic brain injury, and have to live with some limitation for the rest of their lives.

And why? Because they want to spite the people who tell them they should wear helmets.

Pride goeth before a fall, as they say.
The Jake is offline   Reply With Quote