Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Help for selecting ideal board purchase
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
lastplayboy

Default Help for selecting ideal board purchase

Guys I need some advice picking gear for snow boarding. Thanks in advance!

I have been snow skiing for 18 years and have always wanted to snowboard. I am an advanced/expert skier and use stiff boots and high end skis. I rented a few times, but could never afford to invest the time and money into the sport.

I was in Vail and saw a 65 year old guy having a blast just carving s turns on his board and I realized if I don't get started it wont happen for me.

I like to buy high end equipment that is on sale for all my sports. (I am a big fan of buying last year's equipment.) I take care of my stuff and keep it for long periods of time. I feel a pride of ownership that enhances my enjoyment of any sport.

37 years old
200 lbs very athletic
5'10"
size 11 or 10.5
90% groomed rest would be desire for fresh snow boarding. currently live midwest with yearly trips out west. possibility of moving to the mountains in the next two years.
No parks, no jumps.

Boots Burton SLX
Bindings Burton Diode est
Board Burton Mystery 162 (2013)
Burton Vapor 163 (2012)
Burton Vapor 159 or 162W (2013)

This equipment was selected because of its lightweight characteristics and stiffness, also, it is on great sale so the cost is not a huge issue.

I would like to find the board that I could just spend a lot of time making s turns all over and then hopefully if it snows use in fresh snow. Being in the Midwest, its possible to encounter ice, fake snow, slush, etc. I hope to spend more time in my future out West.

The problem I am having is in deciding between the camber or the flying V base design. I have read about the differences but I would appreciate some real opinions.

What board is best for transitioning turns?
What board is best for Midwest?
What board would be more forgiving for a beginner to grow into?

Thank You !
lastplayboy is offline   Reply With Quote