Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Tore my ACL, quick question...
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasley View Post
Ok so on the first of this month, (almost a month ago) I tore my ACL, and damaged my MCL and possibly tore my meniscus. After the 28 days now i can walk almost normally and it doesnt feel too weird or weak. I havent gotten surgery yet but after some physical therapy, it has strengthened a lot since the day i hurt it and like i said, can walk on it almost normally. I know that without the ACL there is a lot of side to side play in my knee and it can cave in if i put too much pressure on the inside of it. This may be a stupid question, but would it be possible to start riding very mellowly down groomers and smooth terrain with a good brace that would keep my knee from caving in sideways? The physical therapist and doctor said that I should walk on it as much as possible and that i couldnt do anything more damaging to it than what is already done until surgery and thats when i gotta be very careful on it. So what do you guys think? Preferably people who have personal experience with this kind of stuff. thanks
I've been in the exact same situation as you. Torn my ACL, meniscus and strained my other ligaments. Do not go snowboarding. You're basically asking for trouble and it's not worth risking your future snowboard days or increasing your chances of arthritis when you're older.

When doctors say "it can't get worse" they mean just doing normal day to day things shouldn't make it worse. They definitely aren't talking about being able to go snowboarding 1 month after your injury. If you fall while your knee is still weak and end up ruining more of your knee cartilage you're just screwing yourself over in the future.

Last edited by Jed; 03-29-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote