Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Help for selecting ideal board purchase
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mel M

If all you really want to do is blast through S-carves on the snow, then I'd suggest getting an inexpensive intermediary setup for a season so you can learn to link turns and basic carving, then try an move up to a hardboot alpine setup. You might enjoy that more being an advanced skier.

That's where you should spend the money. I'd MUCH rather spend $1000+ on a Kessler or Coiler than some Burton tech board.

Nothing wrong with wanting a great setup from the get go, but I really think there are actually better boards out there for less. Also, I would stick with no more than a med-stiff rating to start off with. Look at the GNU Rider's Choice or Billy Goat, NeverSummer Proto or SL, Nitro Blacklight Gullwing, or the Lib-tech TRS.

If I wanted a money-be-damned board, I would opt for a Nidecker Ultralight, but it's a bit stiff for a beginner. It's also near impossible to find in the US. I would get this over any "high-end" Burton board any day of the week.

For a high end binding, the Burton Genesis or Union MC since they're both flexy, yet responsive. The Diode's amazing, but way too stiff to start off with.

For boots, if an SLX fits, then go for it, but otherwise I'd rather get a $100 boot that fits perfectly than a $500 boot that just fits okay. If you want a boot that's loaded with just as much tech, check out the Salomon F4.0. They actually have a better reputation for boots than Burton.
Mel M is offline   Reply With Quote