Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Scorpioned while flat basing and now I can't anymore
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #153 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Interesting description about the bowling ball balancing on the RC/C2 profile. That's what I was feeling. I remember like 8 years ago before my boarding hiatus, I only got out a few times, but I still had no feelings of instability "flat basing" and that was on a cambered deck.

With the C2, even though it's been said to keep weight forward, I still feel like weight back is more stable. I can't really reconcile this because "heavy end wants to go first" is logical, but it feels like shifting weight forward is when the squirrel kicks in.

I wonder if this is because putting the weight forward is actually centering it right over the middle rocker section, briefly causing you to lose both front and rear contact (or at least heavily unweight them). Maybe when I think my weight is forward, it's actually centered. Perhaps on these C2/RC decks, it would be reasonable to say:

Centered flatbase: Worst
Rear-heavy flatbase: Better, but not ideal
Front-heavy flatbase: Best

On a camber board, centered weight puts maximum engagement on both points, and even if you favor one or the other, the profile will naturally put some pressure on the other point. That would make it easier for beginners to do that.

On a full rocker...well who knows, all bets are off

That makes me curious about trying it on a C3 profile:

I haven't ridden a board like that, but I'm curious now. It would be nice to have the camber stability but I'm not sure I'd sacrifice it for float.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote