Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Do you think its possible for me to get sponsored next season
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member

You're not at the level you need to be sponsored, but sponsorship sucks anyway.

Here's what sponsorship gets you:

Option 1: You get a gear hookup - it means nothing except a free snowboard setup each year. This is where a majority of pro snowboarders sit.

You still have to work another full-time job and fit snowboard time in when you can.

Option 2: You actually get a travel budget and some limited income as well as gear.

You still have to work another job to keep bills paid and fit snowboard time in when you can.

Option 3: You make it into the very small ranks of pro snowboarders who actually get paid enough to live without working another job.

You now rely on this income and any major setbacks or lack of visibility/progression in the coming years and you end up back in option 1 or 2 when your sponsors downgrade/drop you. They may also drop you without any particular reason on your end.

So that's what you get as a pro snowboarder.

Oh and there's one more option...

Option 4: You work hard to put yourself into a career/job that lets you set your own hours and possibly even make a crapload of money.

You now have the freedom to snowboard as much as you want and live better than 99% of pro snowboarders.

I know which option I'd take.