Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Today I Hate Thread!
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #866 (permalink)
backstop13
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Today I hate...people I work with who don't know what the fuck they're talking about...

I was helping another "engineer" troubleshoot an engine with oil leaking from the fuel control unit (engine oil pressure controls fuel flow on this model (PT6)). The engine manual allows an oil consumption limit of 0.9 pounds per hour before the engine has to be removed from wing. Long story short, the engineer I was working with was struggling to figure out how to tell the customer how many quarts of oil that was per hour so he could determine if the oil leak was within limits. I explained to him that he just needed to look up the density of oil and start doing the math to convert 0.9 lbs/hr over to quarts/hr. He looked at me with a puzzled look and then proceeded to tell me that you didn't have to do that because there's 16 ounces in a pound, so you just multiply 0.9 times 16. I just shook my head and told him that dry weight didn't equal liquid weight. He argued with me for a while and I tried to explain to him that an ounce of mercury weighed a hell of a lot more than an ounce of water, but he wouldn't listen. I gave up and just told him to tell the customer whatever he wanted but to keep my name off of the email.

For the record, this guy makes about 20k more a year than me. FML.
backstop13 is offline   Reply With Quote