Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Canadian Rockies Condition reports

39K views 459 replies 38 participants last post by  ryannorthcott 
#1 ·
Thought I'd make a thread for sharing the local conditions similar to the Vancouver thread here.

Dec. 14th - Castle Opening Day. This is my first time here and the hill has a very laid back vibe to it. Conditions were decent for early season. Huckleberry and sundance had mixtures on powder, chuky powder, crust thru out the run. Lots of little branches sticking out.

Red chair didn't open until afternoon and it was very rocky in places. had to stick around trees for best conditions.

The bad: chairs are sloooooow, and they sway a lot.
The Ugly: T-bar pub run out of draft and pizza before noon. My food never came :blowup:

Dec.15th - Fernie

Great conditions - untouched powder can be found in currie/cedar/siberia. Epic conditions up on top of mountain. untouched pow and sparse trees.

Good mixture of soft snow and groomers across the board. Many tree areas in lower elevations are closed off to conserve base. Tons of branches are sticking out. The last sections of groomers before base is riddled with tiny rocks. Slightly annoying.

I think it definitely has the best conditions compared to (LL, SSV, KH, Castle) can't comment on Revy but I'll be there next weekend.

See less See more
#277 ·
thinking of going to Nakiska on Saturday, has anyone been out there recently? Forecast says that its getting warm through the day, or is that just Kananaskis and not the hill?
I had friends there last Sunday (5 days ago) and they said it was icy, but they're not regular boarders. They're calling for a high of about 1 on Saturday, so if it is frozen in the morning, it might thaw out a bit by early afternoon. I was at Nakiska in mid-April last year and had a good time. I'll be there Sunday for an event no matter what the conditions are like!

Do you really need a beacon for the Dive (do they check you)? kinda sux that the best area on the hill is roped off.... Saying that I'll probably be buying one next year for going back country.
From what I hear, yes you HAVE to have the gear to go in there. They either check or if you're caught without you're fucked...

I sort of think it seems like a marketing ploy, as Fernie and Louise have some pretty crazy in bounds terrain that you don't need gear for. Maybe it's just to keep tourists out?

No snow here anymore, I'm gonna go check out the conditions in Punta Cana. Will let you all know what I find.
Pussy!!! :yahoo: I'll be hitting louise in May still... :D

#278 ·
Thanks Poutanen... Odd to not have bumped into you for the last month or so, seems we were at the same hill for most of the start of the season :icon_scratch:

That's all I can think too, the Dive's not even scary looking. after riding just about every chute KHMR has, going back to the sunshine groomers is just a dire thought :huh:

#280 ·
That's all I can think too, the Dive's not even scary looking. after riding just about every chute KHMR has, going back to the sunshine groomers is just a dire thought :huh:
Yeah I'm surprised I didn't bump into more forum members this year. Oh well they're big hills we ride! Easy to get yourself lost somewhere!

I've found some great stuff on Louise this year... Not that any of it is news to anybody who's been riding here for years, but a little hike here or there, a cut through the bush, etc. and there is great stuff. Board killing rocks in most places though too...

You ever done the Curry Headwall at Fernie? It's gated terrain but I didn't see any requirement for avalanche gear. The terrain leads back into the Curry bowl and you could ride it again and again off the polar peak chair if it was open all day. Would likely be a 10 min hike to get up to the good stuff...

If it's still open in May I will try to get out with you again. I'm off to my wedding in the DR for two weeks now though! Later!!
Have fun! :eek:ccasion14:

We're doing ours at Louise next March. Likely stay at the Fairmont and the wedding itself will be at the hill. We're planning on taking the gondola up and doing a wiwaxy 500 lap in our tux and dress... :yahoo:

#289 ·
I'm heading up this weekend, Looks like sunday is going to be the best day but I have a night out planned in Calgary on saturday and I might be hanging like a mofo. I'll definitely be in sunshine on either saturday or sunday though. Might rent some avy gear if there's anyone to go into the dive with?

#290 ·
I've blown off saturday night plans so will be riding the afternoon on saturday and all day sunday at Sunshine. What Avi gear do I need for the dive as I'm going to hire it tomorrow morning. This is kit list at the Calgary outdoor centre:

Avalanche transceiver (digital) $10.00
Avalanche probe $3.00
Snow shovel $3.00
Snow saw $2.50

Will it be wise to get all of the above?

#307 ·
I should have taken more pics today... Was the second best snow day I think I've seen at Nakiska. About 6-8" of snow when we arrived in the parking lot, a little heavy near the bottom, but mostly light fluffy stuff up top. Had some GREAT runs today! :yahoo:

Finally met up with Seriouscat and his storm trooper look. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.