Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Binding Highback Angle
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
chomps1211
Not quite reformed yet

Second season rider, I learned to ride on a board that was way beyond my abilities, a 2010/11 Arbor Roundhouse 163W. I was 6ft - 200 lbs (..I'm since up 20-25 lbs!) 10.5 wide shoe trying to fit in 11 sized SB boots.

...So, as it turns out,.. I was on the wrong sized board right from the start! I was sold on the wide board by the salesman when I didn't really need one!

The point of telling you that was I have to have a LOT of forward lean dialed into the L Burton Cartels on this board to be able to ride it. I have since acquired 2 reg width boards and I ride them with No or very little forward lean on M Cartel bindings. (Seems I also prefer my forward lean dialed in asymmetrically. More on the front foot, less on the rear!)

If I'm understanding the information being posted here, I "needed" all that FWD lean on that board because of it actually being too wide for my foot? Without all that lean, It was WAY harder to get the leverage needed to get it to carve properly?? I know I've tried M bindings on it twice and it didn't ride for shit! Highback was too short and base of binding very small on board. Not much toe leverage either as the fulcrum point of the M binding was too far back from toe edge?

Because I needed all that lean on the wider board, I thought it was something I would prefer regardless of which board I rode! I was obviously wrong about that. I'm trying to learn about & get a handle on on all these big and little variables that seem to have such a HUGE impact on an individuals riding!

The more I learn about all this shit,.. the more amazed I am that I was able to learn to ride at all let alone pick it up, (...the basics anyway.) and progress as quickly I have!

A Three days riding NooB! (...including the day of the lesson!) Buying, riding an Advanced cambered directional, Wrong size board, wrong boots, Way too narrow stance, etc. etc.

...and STILL I managed to fall totally in love with this sport!!!

Thanks all you guys 'n' gals for all the great info that I can access here!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote