Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Sidecountry runs - where? what skills?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
neni
The Swiss Miss

Default Sidecountry runs - where? what skills?

Two problems:
1) Narrowed down the cat lodges for the pow holiday next March to Baldface, Island Lake or Skeena. Now the more difficult part: which resorts to spend the other one or two weeks of the holiday? Spent hours googleing to find out about resorts but still got problems to decide, where to go. Where do you get the best/most sidecountry opportunities? (not interested in groomers )

2) Other problem is to judge riding ability. This beginner-intermediate-advanced-expert rating usually used is too superficial in my opinion… different strokes for different folks… we don’t have anything like “double-blacks” here (we got a simple blue-red-black rating for groomers). References like “only for advanced riders comfortable with double-blacks” are riddles for me. What skills does an “advanced” rider need to have in your opinion? What is “steep”? We meet 35° regularly in sidecountry, steepest was 44°. Is that steep? Most tricky situation I had to negotiate was a little drop-in that led directly into a 34° slope covered with an older wet snow avalanche deposit with lots of frozen blocks. But what’s tricky for me could be a sneer for someone else. I’ve done all back-sidecountry riding this season without falls, with ease and confidence, but this doesn’t make me an advanced rider, it only means, that I haven’t been in something more difficult

>>> Names, descriptions, pics or vids of runs you’ve done in your preferred sidecountry resorts would very helpful 1st to get an idea of how cool the resorts are 2nd to judge, if I’d be able to tackle them. Would be great if you could add some comments on what’s the specific riders skills needed to do this runs. Or describe tricky situations one can meet, so I could get an idea, if I could manage them. Would be awful to book a week in a resort just to find out that all the nice runs there are too difficult for me
neni is offline   Reply With Quote