Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Sidecountry runs - where? what skills?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
neni
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
True sidecountry aka backcountry? I know you do the bc riding thing, but your description kind of sounds like you are looking for inbounds steeps.
hmmm... add a 3rd problem then: definition problem
As I unserstood the differences (please correct, if I'm wrong):

inbound: "official" runs, displayed on the resort map, patrolled, poles indicate, where the runs go, warnings for dangerous spots (ropes, warning signs), no sudden cliffs, no avy danger (very uncommen here, e.g. nothing like this exists in my resort)

sidecountry: the area all around a resort. no warnings, no avy bombing, no patrols, access by cable car/chairlift (and maybe a short hike) and runs end at the chairlift station. maybe "run" is a wrong word. you ride where ever you want, there are no poles that show you the directions. the significant difference to backcountry is the proximity to a resort. you're "on your own", but since many people ride there, you're still likely to be found if shit happens. we explore new sidecountry either with local guides or if you get a good overview on the terrain ourt of a cable car (hubby has a good terrain memory. I'd still get lost on runs I've done 10 times )

I'm looking for both oportunities. For sidecountry, we'd hire a guide to explore the area, but if "inbound" is common at a resort, sure, we'll love to stay there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Whistler, all have backcountry access gates. Some of them have real tours out those gates and quick back to the resort laps, maybe with some hiking
reading this ^^ I think that what I call sidecountry is backcountry then hmmm... Backcountry for me means that you hike for every meter you run, well off any resort, likely to meet nobody the entire day, plan the trip well in advance, study maps and weatherforcast and avy reports very well, leave early in the morning, stay at home if weather is unstable.

Last edited by neni; 05-18-2013 at 03:46 AM.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote