Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Which is the "best" action camera
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Donutz
Drunk with power...er beer.

Most of us will have only owned one or two cameras from the list, so the list is going to be a better starting point than anyone's opinion. OTOH I'm not sure if that list was created by a particular brand, and would therefore be biased.

I did a comparison of a Contour Roam and Drift 1080p here. Having said all that, I'm going to be getting a Drift Ghost this year in time for next season. Things I consider most important:
  • Waterproof
  • Easy to tell if it's recording
  • Easy to control
  • Can review vids on the mountain
  • Tough
  • Streamlined. I accept that I'm going to look somewhat like tinky-winky, but less is better.

That's in more-or-less order of importance. Notice that "video quality" isn't on there. AFAIK none of the major brands has quality so sucky that you'd toss it at a tree. So whether any particular model has 12 modes or 15 is kind of irrelevant.

The Drift Ghost has one feature that I consider unbeatable. Don't know if any of the others have it as well. You can turn on a "tape loop" where it records continuously, saving the last 5 minutes. At any point you can hit a button and the current "last 5 minutes" gets saved to a separate video file. Good for catching unexpected events.

If anyone has impressions of other cameras on the list, would be good to hear from them.

Yeah, that's me, Tracer Bullet. I've got eight slugs in me. One's lead,
the rest bourbon. The drink packs a wallop, and I pack a revolver. I'm
a private eye.
-- Calvin
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote