Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Best show you've ever been to?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
david_z
Official SBF Blogger

I'm not a huge concert-goer, never really was even when I was younger (although I did go to more back then than I do now), but there are a few that stand out:

* Metallica - when on tour for Load my friend Bobby called me up and was like, "Hey, I have tix to Metallica tonight and I need a ride". He was only 14 and I was probably the only kid in our neighborhood with a driver's license at the time. We missed half of the opening act, which IIRC was Corrosion of Conformity but saw all of Metallica and the dudes in front of us were literally passing a bag full of joints up and down the aisle. Good times.

* Rage Against the Machine -- I think this was 1996. It was the year before they toured with Wu-Tang. At Cobo Hall in Detroit. We had floor seats which we had gotten for free on account of the lady at Ticketmaster handed us our money back when she printed out the tickets, and being punk kids, we didn't say anything just kept our money and the tickets. Such an energetic show, truly amazing watching those guys jam out, live, and since they don't synth anything on their albums the live sound is really true. Kids were storming the floor when they went on stage. Security was overwhelmed. All of a sudden we're just getting smashed closer and closer to the stage and then that sting of pepper spray that they were using for crowd control.

* There was a Warped Tour back probably in like 1999 or 2000 at the Phoenix Center in Pontiac, MI. Met the owner of Vans (a buddy of mine knew him from growing up in Cali), he comped us some backstage passes, got my Sublime t-shirt autographed by Opie from Long Beach Dub. Local favorites, The Suicide Machines had split headline for that tour date, so that was pretty cool. A friend's band played on one of the minor stages. Dropkick Murphys, Greenday, AFI, Pennywise, GVSB, No Use For a Name, NOFX, shit I don't even remember all the bands that were there but it was a killer billing.

* Kid Rock puts on a pretty rad show even though I am not a super fan of his especially his newer stuff, but seeing him play in the D is pretty rad.

* Also saw Springsteen at Comerica Park a few years ago. Dude played a 3 hour set list. No opening act, just the E-Street band. Not my "favorite" show of all time, but worth mentioning.

Last edited by david_z; 04-25-2013 at 12:52 AM.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote