Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Had a quick look at the 2014 Burton Diodes and Genesis...
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
timmytard
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=From a design standpoint, the new helical gear to helical tooth strap setup is a MUCH stronger design. If you think about what is happening, there are always 3 or 4 teeth engaged. As you crank on it, one tooth on one edge disengages as the next one on th opposite side is engaging. With a straight bar design, the entire tooth changes angle all at the same time, and so depending where you are on the tooth, it could be connections just on the very tip, or deep in the groove, or somewhere in between. Friction on the straight design is much higher and wears much faster.

Given all that, you could still have a strait gear that works better than a helical gear. The helical design is more complicated. Did burton get it right? Looked like it to me from the few minutes I messed with it, but time will tell.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure they had to put teeth on the back of the ladders.

It would appear to me, once tight, there would be to much pressure on one side of the ratchet.
Causing it to explode.
Not while doing it up, but holding it in place once tight.

If it didn't need it, they definitely wouldn't have put teeth on the back.

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote