Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Snowboarding days and perceptions
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergatron2000 View Post
Just curous, where were you before and why do you think you progressed so much in the Rockies? Backcountry terrain, snow quality, no distractions?

Maybe I need to move.
I was in Ontario before, most of my boarding was on a 720 ft vert hill with nothing but groomed runs (and a good park). Plus I did about 5 days a year at Jay Peak, Tremblant, or some of the other bigger hills in the east.

Moving to the rockies, I got way more days on the hill, and I'm riding WAYYYYYYY more off-piste stuff than I ever have before. Jay Peak is great for glades, but nothing compares to the rockies for rocks, cliffs, etc.

So I think it's about 50% the higher amount of time on the snow, and 50% the more variable terrain.

Not sure what all of washinton is like, but the snow in the vancouver area really sucked when I was there! I hate to sound like a whiner but it was crusty/slushy/sticky. Even the "powder" was heavy... Whistler wasn't as bad, but still not good, and that was in late January.

I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love the hills around Calgary!

Last edited by poutanen; 05-02-2013 at 04:04 PM.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote