Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Need help, mental aspect of snowboarding
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
david_z
Official SBF Blogger

I'll be 33 in a month and didn't really start riding park until just a few years ago.

For jumps, I do mostly straight airs with a few grabs, 180s and occasional 360s. I started working on jumps again this year after a bad fall a few years ago I didn't really hit jumps for 2 seasons.

For jibs I can 50/50 pretty much most rail features unless they're multi-kinked, but sideways slides are trickier and I only really do those on boxes, and just started doing like front lips or back boards on low/fat rail features late this winter -- I'm at the point where I'd rather have fun doing a handful of relatively simple tricks, or taking those tricks to new/bigger features, than spend all day trying to learn something new on a beginner box but we all kind of determine how quickly we want/need to progress. Now that I am getting much better at these things, I might put more emphasis on progression moving forward but this year was more of a "take it in and have fun".

You can definitely still do it, but best bet is to ride with friends who share an interest in progressing your park game, that's the best way.

Personally, I don't like "ride on" boxes -- especially for sideways slides, because they're just too easy to pussyfoot it and not commit. A small ollie-on/gap-to box is much better, and even if you fall the first time or two, being forced to commit to the maneuver makes it easier in the long run.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote