Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Brawl at 7000m
Thread: Brawl at 7000m
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
snowklinger
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
After reading the accounts, including those of the Sherpas, I can't help but think if the "western" climbers showed a bit of humility and respect, non of this would have happened. Instead, they acted like macho douchebags, and the Sherpas were like "yanno what? This is our mountain, and you treat us like pack mules, so fuck you."

One of the westerners asked (over the radio for ALL other sherpas to hear) if the sherpas wanted to fight after they had a verbal encounter while climbing. I am not surprised they had an angry mob waiting for them when they got back to camp 2. Just some entitled, dickish western attitudes. One of the western guys was saying how the sherpas were jealous of all the money and western privileges the visiting climbers have... He didn't even mention or acknowledge how Mt. Everest is virtually a religious entity to the Sherpas...
I agree, but I think the sherpas were not innocent. Imagine hanging onto the side of a mountain having someone wave an axe at you, you are gonna say "hey if you wanna fight, lets do it down at camp, this is ridiculous". I'm not saying that is how it went down, but I very much imagine that this is where everything went to shit. It seems Simone and perhaps one of the sherpas were being real dicks, but Ueli seems to have a pretty sensitive view of the sherpas and how everything happened.

The statements about the sherpas having all the power and money in the area, but then still resenting the westerners who continue to supply and gave birth to that wealth in the first place, are right on point and a reality in post-imperial 2nd and 3rd world countries. Everything is a religious entity when you're Buddhist, especially when someone wants to pay you to borrow it.

Last edited by snowklinger; 05-04-2013 at 03:54 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote