Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Brawl at 7000m
Thread: Brawl at 7000m
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
BigmountainVMD
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
I agree, but I think the sherpas were not innocent. Imagine hanging onto the side of a mountain having someone wave an axe at you, you are gonna say "hey if you wanna fight, lets do it down at camp, this is ridiculous". I'm not saying that is how it went down, but I very much imagine that this is where everything went to shit. It seems Simone and perhaps one of the sherpas were being real dicks, but Ueli seems to have a pretty sensitive view of the sherpas and how everything happened.

The statements about the sherpas having all the power and money in the area, but then still resenting the westerners who continue to supply and gave birth to that wealth in the first place, are right on point and a reality in post-imperial 2nd and 3rd world countries. Everything is a religious entity when you're Buddhist, especially when someone wants to pay you to borrow it.
The douche made arrogant remarks about fighting on the RADIO. It was not a simple remark to the sherpas fixing the ropes.

As for the money, yes it is brought in by westerners, but it doesn't give them the right to disrespect the Sherpas. We supply all the money to the snowboard mountains... but disrespecting the people that work there is bullshit.

The Sherpa/Tibetan name for Mt. Everest is Chomolungma... it translates to "Mother Goddess of the Earth." Do you think it was only named that when more westerners started climbing it in the 50s?
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote