Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Riding with herniated / ruptured discs
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
neni
The Swiss Miss

Had two discs ruptured (C4/C6) in 2008. First weeks after the accident I thought I'd never be able to ride (horse or board) again. Had no feeling in left fingers for months and electrical buzzes in the arm whenever I reclined the head for years. Was very afraid of backwards falls the first seasons. Besides of trying to get stronger neck muscles, it helped me to ride with a neck stabilizing collar. First year a thick one, next season a thiner one, actually designed from a horse riding outfitter but it was helpful for snowboarding too.
Out of the USG catalog:
It won't absorb all energy of a backwards fall but it would prevent fast/extreme reclining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaner3sixteen View Post
. and don't let any skiers run into you
Although the neck is fine by now and I almost got the same ability to move it as before the accident, I'm riding rather defensive if groomers are crowded, exactly because of this. If I get enough safety distance, I ride fast and with fun again.

Last edited by neni; 06-07-2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: mistake correction... it's C4/C6 not L4/L6
neni is online now   Reply With Quote