Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - steep hill: carving vs. sliding
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #36 (permalink)
baldylox
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplankawanka View Post
I raced mountain bikes for a few years and never did I initiate any turn with counter steering. Counter steering is used when the rear wheel(s) slip. I initiate a left turn on a bicycle by turning the bar to the left and if my rear wheel slips, I then counter steer to the right to keep the bike headed in the intended direction of travel.. We use counter steering the same way whether it be two of four wheels... Counter steering does not translate well when comparing the performance characteristics of a snowoboard vs. a bicycle or motor bike. I even conceptualize using counter steering on a bike to initiate a turn... anymore thoughts???
You are confusing countersteering with another concept. I do know what you're referring to. (when a car is in a drift and you steer into the direction that it is sliding to maintain control). I'm not sure what that is called but the concept I am talking about only occurs on two wheeled vehicles with round tires. You do in fact initiate a turn using countersteering while mountain biking, but only on hard pack.

Here is the wikipedia article. Perhaps it explains better than I do.
Countersteering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by baldylox; 12-12-2008 at 06:17 PM.
baldylox is offline   Reply With Quote