Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Colorado Conditions, Meet ups and General Talk Thread

644K views 8K replies 303 participants last post by  bseracka 
#1 ·
I know it's early, but damn, we need some snow.

Colorado | OpenSnow

That shit looks like a repeat of last season.

#1,007 ·
Yep, it was damn good up there this morning. We rode hard up until about noon. Loveland was as crowded as I've ever seen it though. The steeps off of lift 1 got beat immediately and everyone mobbed 9 immediately so we made straight for 8 and got in some damn good runs before the mob found it too.

I bailed around noon as everything was getting tracked out and the snow was starting to get heavy... and I had shit to do. Snowklinger and the others kept riding though I think, unless they chose to just booze. :laugh:

#1,012 · (Edited)
Nobody waited for me to finish my beer so I did one more run and bailed. That shit was pissing me off anyway. Fuck all that snow, I'm glad the season is over. If we are gonna get mobbed the last 3 weeks the way we have, I'm gonna pray for shitty conditions or quit early next year. I'm really bitter about our nice mountain turning into a Keystone weekend every fucking weekday. What a rotten taste in my mouth to end the season, can't wait to start hiking. It was a good year but epic conditions the last month were absolutely ruined by poachers (we are talking a 300-2000% increase in people on the mountain compared to mid-winter, even busy times :thumbsdown:).

#1,010 ·
God damn snowshoers walking up the skin track. I put a nice skin track in at First Creek last week, then on Wednesday some fucking snowboarders on snowshoes just destroyed the skin track. I would have kicked them in the nuts if I saw them there.

Of course I did post hole in my skin track walking out the exit at the bottom...

#1,017 ·
Had this been like 2 seasons ago most of those people wouldn't have gone up because the season was already that good. Late start is bringing everyone out. Basin had people at it but I never waited in line except once on the back side and most of the people there were the biggest bunch of candy asses when choosing lines. Oh you have to traverse through a rock field well sack up buddy cause the lines are good at the end of that.

#1,018 ·
Loveland reported more, so I think most people headed there. If it was just a bunch of groomer cruisers and dipshits, that would've been fine. Unfortunately, there were a bunch of rippers out and they were all heading for the good stuff that usually doesn't get tracked out and beat to death immediately. Oh well, it was damn good over on 8 in the morning before everyone else found there way over there. Noon was a good time to call it at the Luv.

#1,028 ·
I ride very little park, but even I wish that Loveland and A-Basin would step up their park games.

Loveland talked a big game this season and teased with a couple of really nice looking booters which they rebuilt several times before finally dozing them down without ever opening them. I love that mountain, but come the fuck on... :dunno:

#1,029 ·
I was at the Basin on Sunday. It was not that crowded, so it's getting a little better. My friend was able to park in one of the upper lots and they were not full. We arrived later.

Yesterday it was raining down here in Keystone. Today it was raining when I let my dog out. This is going to ruin the conditions. It may be better to go golfing or do something in Denver....... This goes for everyone. Today I am gonna work on a painting.

#1,031 ·
Was up at mid mountain this morning in Vail before work. They cut the forrest roads down tp tje dirt sometime in the last couple of days. The roads have 8-10' walls of snow around them. Had no idea it was that deep. There was about 3"of fresh snow this morning too. Spooky riding along and coming up on a canyon like that at dawn....

#1,032 ·
I dont get why the resorts dont stay open if they have anything rideable. I heard they lease the property from the National Forest Service and that they make them shut down around that time to preserve the wild life? This cant be true right? Only thing that would make sense to me is all the seasonal employees dipping out so they dont have enough peeps to run the mountain....

That or they dont like $$$...which we all know VR does

#1,034 ·
Looks like Slapahoe got around a foot of the wet stuff. Should make for an awesome day of hucking your meat off of stuff. Wish I could play hooky today but it will have to wait for the weekend. Hopefully North facing slopes up high will hold some cold snow for the weekend. Get after it.

#1,036 ·
When I let my dog out this morning there was barely an inch of wet snow on the ground down here in Keystone. I saw the snow report and was like really? 12 inches was a bit conservative because it was past my knees in many places.

The snow was heavy and wet. It was not fluff on crust. My snowboard only scraped at the top of the Pali side. Another great spring day in knee deep powder. I am very happy with the spring season this year. We may even have a summer season since Al the CEO said they may stay open past June 2nd if conditions persist like they are.

Milton deep at the Basin.

#1,044 ·
This is what makes me worry a bit about venturing out on my own but I just can't keep letting these great days just go by.

The CAIC statewide forecast doesn't make it seem all that safe either.
Stay out of avalanche terrain right now. Period.

Quite a bit of new snow and it's supposed to get fairly warm this weekend. It's gonna be touchy.

#1,045 ·
Stay out of avalanche terrain right now. Period.

Quite a bit of new snow and it's supposed to get fairly warm this weekend. It's gonna be touchy.
Definitely more than a few areas I wouldn't even considering touching, even on the highly trafficked side of LL pass, right now.

Like CAIC says, "Conservative, cautious route finding and terrain selection are the best ways to avoid the problem."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.