Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Colorado Conditions, Meet ups and General Talk Thread

644K views 8K replies 303 participants last post by  bseracka 
#1 ·
I know it's early, but damn, we need some snow.

Colorado | OpenSnow

That shit looks like a repeat of last season.

#1,048 ·
The backcountry is going to be all about how warm it stays over night and how quickly it warms up in the day. If you see water at the top of the pass in the AM, it is probably not a good day to go out. Stuff needs to freeze. I wouldn't be surprised if it is too warm to be out there by 11am. The biggest worry out there is that with the persistent deep slab instability still lurking is that the west slides have a good chance to go to the ground. West slides are normally slow beasts but very powerful. They do tend to be easier to deal with. If it goes to the ground, it will not only be powerful but probably fast moving. Much higher consequence. It has just been a problematic year at best. We knew this was coming with all of the October snow fall and then the long dry spell. October snow is never a good thing.

The other problems are that where it is traditionally safer is not so good with this warm up. IE, in the trees. Yet the open bowls at Loveland have their problems too.

#1,051 ·
It was anther great day on the pass.

33 degrees and overcast at the bottom for the first couple of laps. Snow was good at the top.

Once the sun came out things got wet and heavy really quick and I took my last lap. Overall, I'm glad I went out today even if it was for a little bit. Anytime you can sneak out for a little while mid-May to do some riding is always a good time in my book. :yahoo:

Attachments

#1,054 ·
Heading up to abay tomorrow w/ sponger606!

If anyone's up and sees us, come say hello :)

Probably be rockin' the usual digs w/ a plethora of colorful rags flappin' around on the breeze.

#1,060 ·
Yea I hung it up when loveland closed. Not paying 70 bucks or whatever the fuck it is to go ride abasin. Thats why I get pissed at $30 tix and luv packed for the last 3 weeks. If Abasin offerend similar that would be cool, but its not.

Love the luv but the way that shit pans out at the end of the season makes me happy its summer.

#1,062 ·
I have not been riding much of lately. Normally I shred all May, but this season is different cause I am working 2 jobs. I slacked all season with a part time job and have over 100 days. Before the Basin closes I want to squeeze in a few more days. Most seasons I am only partially working and ride a lot during May. It does not help they aint running the Swan MTN Flyer during the week this season.

On Aprapahoe Basin's facebook page they are hinting to an extended season.

I had a good season this year, but have to catch up financially from all the slacking. I am pretty lucky to have a of work during mud season. My baby truck needs new shocks and I gotta start paying my student loans again. The gas kills my wallet.

#1,068 ·

I took this picture yesterday from The Lenaway Chair . The coverage is still pretty good. They were running the Zuma chair. I never made it over there :dunno:. Pali is closed, but that stuff off to the side looks good. Some of the lower runs like The Northfork and TB Glades are now closed off :sad:

lake Revel has not appeared yet. I will be very pissed if they close before pond skimming. Pond skimming is always so much fun to watch.

it's still pretty good out there. It was not terribly sticky either.

#1,069 ·
Ya rode Thursday and yesterday. Pali is most unfortunately closed : (((. And they took out the 30 foot for a bit since there was running water next to it haha but they are pushing to get it back in before close. The snow is great until about 1 when your wondering who replaced all the slush with quick sand. But there's a bunch of fun crevasses, side hits, 4foot mound mogul runs, and the park is still fun even with out the 30 foot. That lift is just such a buzzkill though.

#1,071 ·
I copied this from The Basin on Facebook

We'll be open seven days a week until June 2.
We'll be CLOSED June 3-6.
We'll REOPEN June 7, 8, & 9.
:yahoo:
Nice! I was there Tuesday. Conditions aint to bad. There are some rocks to watch out for. They will be open top to bottom. The park got pathetic, but then I am pathetic in the park.

Lake Reveal started to form when I was there. It is tiny, not huge yet. Right now it is cold. I went out side recently and snow was falling. It snowed this morning. I think by the week end it will be big.

May snow!

I don't know how much was at The Basin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.