Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Which Snowboard would be best?

2K views 20 replies 1 participant last post by  SnowBun 
G
#1 ·
After doing doing some reasearch and testing I have narrowed it down to 3 boards:

-Rome Lo-Fi
-Rome Vinyl
-Omatic Benatar

Lo-Fi : True twin; stance setback: centered
Vinyl: Setback twin, directional (different websites are giving me different info); stance setback: centered
Benatar: Directional; stance setback: 2cm

I'm looking for a more mountain board rather than park (although capable of carrying itself over). I also want something that I can ride switch with.

I ride in upstate NY/PA; pretty bad conditions :laugh:

I'm not a great rider, so I need something that will serve me well at my level, yet also can be progressed into.

Please let me know what you guys think. I know there's not many people here with knowledge of women's boards, but any input at all is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
The vinyl is raved about everywhere i read it, but i couldn't find one for my wife in the right size. So i ended up with the Atomic fallen angel. Which has also got tons of good reviews. Both of those are considered all mountain though. Not sure on the other two.
-snowjeeper

G
#3 ·
Does anyone know if there are any differences between the '08 and '09 models of the vinyl?

I'm not so much concerned with park since I can't even get my toe breaks down perfectly yet. I just need a board that will allow me to progress and become a better boarder.

Is it much more difficult to ride switch with a directional as opposed to a true twin?

#6 ·
yeah that's "ok". I've been fighting against buying an Atomic hatchet for 240. When you take a look at it, that's only 50 bucks off a new one from this year. It's not much of a discount. It's probably the best price you're going to find on a new one from last year. Like a month ago they were selling some for around 215, but inventory has dried up. As you can tell I've spent a while trying to find boards and making up my mind :)

G
#7 · (Edited)
it's just so hard because it's my first board :laugh:

I rode the Lo-Fi and Benatar, they were both pretty nice. They did not have a Vinyl when I went demo-ing, which is why I'm reluctant to get it.

The Lo-Fi felt jittery and bouncy when I started to pick up speed; is that normal? I felt every single bump beneath me. Any idea why?

As far as the Benatar goes: it wasn't bad at all. I felt pretty stable on it, but switch was a bit awkward. I don't know what the difference in tech between the two are (I don't know the lingo).

Benatar:

Shape: Directional
Effective Edge: [149cm] 1130mm
Waist Width: [149cm] 243mm
Sidecut Radius:[149cm] 8.2m
Stance Setback: 2cm
Core Material: INTELLIGENTCORE (vertically laminated poplar with air channels)
Base:SINTRUDED
Recommended Use: All-mountain

Vinyl

Effective edge: [149cm] 1155mm
Waist width: [149cm] 242mm
Sidecut radius: [149cm] 7.72m
Stance width: [149cm] 19.5-22.5in (49.4-61.4cm)
Stance setback: Centered
Core material: Pop Core Matrix (wood)
Base material: SinterSpeed
Recommended Use: Advanced freestyle

G
#13 ·
Benatar:

Effective Edge: [149cm] 1130mm
Waist Width: [149cm] 243mm
Sidecut Radius:[149cm] 8.2m
Stance Setback: 2cm
Core Material: INTELLIGENTCORE (vertically laminated poplar with air channels)
Base:SINTRUDED
Recommended Use: All-mountain

Vinyl

Effective edge: [149cm] 1155mm
Waist width: [149cm] 242mm
Sidecut radius: [149cm] 7.72m
Stance width: [149cm] 19.5-22.5in (49.4-61.4cm)
Stance setback: Centered
Core material: Pop Core Matrix (wood)
Base material: SinterSpeed
Recommended Use: Advanced freestyle
those two :)

G
#9 ·
i read that earlier this morning! :laugh:

I am leaning more toward the Vinyl now; just kind of disappointed that it does not match the rest of my gear :laugh: (I know that sounds silly, but all of my stuff is black/white/red and the board is blue :().

G
#18 · (Edited)
Well, just a few reasons, this is only from reading their jargon so you'd know better if you tested em. The Omatic has:

SINTRUDED base: The Benatar offers a unique "Sintruded base" that combines the easy to fix properties of the extruded base with the better wax absorption qualities of a sintered base.

Sounds kind of like they're pushing an extruded base, which is on lower end boards and not as fast, which might not matter to you at this point in your learning.. The Rome seems to have a true sintered base.

SinterTrue Base

A porous sintered structure for speed and glide.

but then the OMATIC has babushka dolls on it which is all win!

Vinyl seems to be a little more flexible which is good for learning.. no way I can know for sure, just based on their wording. My bf insisted on trying my stiff never summer (hes a newbie boarder as well) and despised it.. to stiff for him at his stage, lol but I adore the thing.

G
#19 · (Edited)
yeah i rode the Omatic, it wasn't bad.

I did not ride the Vinyl, which is why I'm unsure. The Lo-Fi was awesome though! (But too flexible for mountain though I think)

And the dolls are winrar, cause I'm Russian :laugh:

I just haven't been able to find any sound reviews for it, and it is directional. Felt a bit awkward on switch for some reason :dunno:

so go with the Vinyl?

G
#21 ·
would it be able to last me a season or two? Or is it too much of a beginner board?

I'm not trying to get ahead of myself by any means, just trying to get the most for my money. I want a board that will last me a more than one winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.