Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

NZ & Burton

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  JBM NZ 
#1 ·
90% of what I see for sale in NZ is Burton, do Kiwis love Burton or is just the way the industry has been governed over here?

#2 ·
We have pretty good coverage of the top brands thruout the retail side of the snow industry here. Burton represent a large side of the market here yes as the brand has had a long association with the country. thru its $$ behind the NZ Open since forever and the company have been sending their riders down here filming and shooting for the B(how many times has terje heli'ed in canterbury..........alot:cool:)they have a large presence. the market is nothing like US/Euro and is small and spreadout over our two rocks. i know i see other brands out there tho not in the voluumes of the B.

#3 ·
heres a little info for the kiwis.
higher ground, the sole distributor of burton and their brands(anon, red, gravis AK) has just gone into recievership. basically they had mad debts, and cant afford to be what they used to. burton had such a heavy presence because as new zealand was emerging mainstream within the industry, burton(as they do) jumped on and capitalized. a good mate of mine owned one of the first snowboard shops in the country, and burton made it all happen. but looking to the future, other brands are stepping up. sportive, a distributor out of CHCH has smith optics, Ride, K2, and a few other big names and they will be pushing big time.

i know this from working at 2 major board shops in queenstown, and burton will be in the shadows of other, emerging labels.

check out ALTA in queenstown, or Small Planet Sports on shotover, both hook it up. everything you need between the two.

#4 · (Edited)
Burton

well as a Queenstown local 13yrs ,been snowboarded couple yrs longer than that ....
I personal just really like the burton gear currently(And I say that will be the same for many kiwis) not saying other brands don't make good gear only really been the last 3 years I've been on Burton decks only(run 2 boards/bindings each season) loving the EST set-up these days ....but other gear boots -thirtytwo-Ride outerwear etc ....

many of my mates also like the burton Boards/bindings .....just the way it is
now if some other brand comes out with a better setup I'll try it out for sure..

As for Burton fading into the back round locally....bout as likely as Toyota being surpassed in sales by Mazda

Also find RnR the best in town for gear in Qutown

#5 ·
well as a Queenstown local 13yrs ,been snowboarded couple yrs longer than that ....
I personal just really like the burton gear currently(And I say that will be the same for many kiwis) not saying other brands don't make good gear only really been the last 3 years I've been on Burton decks only(run 2 boards/bindings each season) loving the EST set-up these days ....but other gear boots -thirtytwo-Ride outerwear etc ....

many of my mates also like the burton Boards/bindings .....just the way it is
now if some other brand comes out with a better setup I'll try it out for sure..

As for Burton fading into the back round locally....bout as likely as Toyota being surpassed in sales by Mazda

Also find RnR the best in town for gear in Qutown
What.

Burton has been fading for a while now. And no, that's not the same for many kiwi's - most I know hate Burton as a brand and only speak well about the Bindings. I'd say we love to hate Burton more than anything.

It's hard to argue with the silent support shown for their bindings, and the biggest reason people get their boots is for the warranty and availability. As for the boards? fuck knows why people buy it other than the name.

That being said, I got my first pair of cartels in the states this season. They broke one day 1. Got them replaced. never ridden them since. I've never liked burton bindings before, I just couldn't resist an NZ$500 product for $140.

#7 ·
U are either a burton fan or not a fan. Personally I am not a fan and refuse to buy their stuff from clothing to boards or anything. Though I did have a burton love playboy series which was a good learning board. Burton flood the market with way too many shit boards which are probably all the same with different graphics. The Flying V was a major let down imo
Have recently become a lib tech fan as of last yr and can't honestly see that changing! Such a nice ride and a board u can depend on no matter what you throw at it.

#9 · (Edited)
bollocks

The view of Burton in NZ is subjective, but they are definitely not loved by Kiwis. They are just here, and were here early on....

Really ?? well up Coronet yesterday I seen plenty burton gear round...not loved
well maybe in your small mind...but many do
this whole "Burton hate crowd" are absolute tools IMHO

Personal I really like thirtytwo boots have owned burton Ion's , Vans etc in the past ,,,,but at present I'm a fan of the thirtytwo boots.....not going go round hating on other brands not my style or most boarders

.... Everyone I know, like myself running EST/ICS system likes it....(Guess is the reason why Burton took over Forum)

#10 ·
The view of Burton in NZ is subjective, but they are definitely not loved by Kiwis. They are just here, and were here early on....

Really ?? well up Coronet yesterday I seen plenty burton gear round...not loved
well maybe in your small mind...but many do
this whole "Burton hate crowd" are absolute tools IMHO

Personal I really like thirtytwo boots have owned burton Ion's , Vans etc in the past ,,,,but at present I'm a fan of the thirtytwo boots.....not going go round hating on other brands not my style or most boarders

.... Everyone I know, like myself running EST/ICS system likes it....(Guess is the reason why Burton took over Forum)
Oh we're moving into this Territory now are we? Well yeah, if you're in with the weekend warrior crowd, struggle down a slope of 30 degrees without a slip slide and think it's an amazing day when you get 5cm of dust on crust- Yeah, any old brand will do you fine and I bet you'll gobble that salesmans pitch on how burton are fucking great because that's one of the few brands they stock.

Who's got the small mind exactly? the person who dislikes Burton for a reason or the person who's too blind to understand why they're disliked? Does no one have a good reason to hate burton? I already stated my bindings broke day one, but I've never liked the feel of burtons bindings to be honest. I've been less than impressed by any board I've ridden, and their boots have never fitted my feet properly either.
But that's right, my extensive training within the industry, years experience riding and on multiple brands gear doesn't entitle me to which brands I am allowed to like or dislike does it?

I have many friends who buy Burton on proform, not because they love the gear, but because it's easy and cheap. They know those boards are going to break within the warranty period and they'll get a new one. Same with the boots.
The same concept does not work for others buying burton- The board won't break in time for that warranty, but when it breaks they'll have to buy another one, and it's probably going to be burton, because hey, this shops sells it and the guy inside said they were good! More people end up with burton because they don't know better, not because they love the brand.

Also, I've got no idea what you mean by "burton overtook forum". Are you implying you didn't know Burton bought Forum when it was an already failing brand, years ago, to give it a second chance? Forum died because they couldn't keep up with other brands construction and tech. People stopped buying them, but not to buy Burton, just to buy any other brand. Burton's EST had nothing to do with it, otherwise every other brand that doesn't use EST would go that way as well.

#12 · (Edited)
Tool...

NZSHRED Is your nick name "GOD"? cause you go on like you know everything and what every snowboarder likes and dis-likes......

Just love the attacks on me personal and all burton users as being weekend warriors ...shows up how full of it you are,,,but as your a pro right.:laugh:doing stiff leg back-flips of 100 foot cliffs right ...da man

"burton overtook forum" no I said burton took out i.e brought Forum and it's patents ,,,(do you understand what a patent is ?going from your post I'd say no) well Forum had a similar system to the Burton ICS but was two and not the one channel ICS... years before Burton brought Forum in 05 then 07 we had the release of the first ICS ..No other brand can just bring out a channel system without break the worldwide Patent law....go do some research Samsung Vs Apple

you said in one post Burton was overpriced then next post your saying it's cheap n easy ....:dunno:

Now GOD what brand is about to put Burton in it's shadow ?? (with burton having round 50% of the market place)

#13 ·
NZSHRED Is your nick name "GOD"? cause you go on like you know everything and what every snowboarder likes and dis-likes......

Just love the attacks on me personal and all burton users as being weekend warriors ...shows up how full of it you are,,,but as your a pro right.:laugh:doing stiff leg back-flips of 100 foot cliffs right ...da man

"burton overtook forum" no I said burton took out i.e brought Forum and it's patents ,,,(do you understand what a patent is ?going from your post I'd say no) well Forum had a similar system to the Burton ICS but was two and not the one channel ICS... years before Burton brought Forum in 05 then 07 we had the release of the first ICS ..No other brand can just bring out a channel system without break the worldwide Patent law....go do some research Samsung Vs Apple

you said in one post Burton was overpriced then next post your saying it's cheap n easy ....:dunno:

Now GOD what brand is about to put Burton in it's shadow ?? (with burton having round 50% of the market place)

Do you even know how to context? I said it's cheap and easy for people on a proform. As far as I can see, I didn't mention anything about them being expensive in here, only that there are other brands which you can get cheaper and have the same performance.
Having a go at me for getting personal? That's laughable, as it was you who attempted to call me out has being small minded, and burton "haters" as "tools". So yeah, I'm going to call you out as a weekend warrior if you can't accept that there are reasons people dislike burton, or any other brand.
Get over it, Burton dominate the Beginner and rental market. That's who they target, and that's a massive majority of who they get, hence why they have been such a noticeable brand within the industry. It's the Beginners and weekend warriors who keep this industry afloat.

I'm pretty sure if you read my first post, I shared my dislike for burton while still accepting they made some good product, had a good warranty, and never said anything about everyone disliking them, but instead said that the most people I know dislike burton.

"Burton has been fading for a while now. And no, that's not the same for many kiwi's - most I know hate Burton as a brand and only speak well about the Bindings. I'd say we love to hate Burton more than anything.
It's hard to argue with the silent support shown for their bindings, and the biggest reason people get their boots is for the warranty and availability. As for the boards? fuck knows why people buy it other than the name."

Burton didn't buy Forum for the patents. They bought them to give them a second chance. Forum was a big cornerstone of snowboarding and was about to go under anyway, Jake gave them a second chance. If I remember correctly, Rossignol or Head also used a form of channel once - we had one hanging round last season.

Well, peasant, I beg you to please present to me where I suggested another brand was trying to put Burton in it's shadow? Again, read within context. no one suggested they were going to disappear or another brand was going to overshadow them. Only that since I started snowboarding, Burton has been less noticeable within the industry.

Time to get off it, I shared my view after you said most kiwis loved burton and you attempted to call me out as small minded because of your view on the subject and "burton haters". I'll repeat myself, your or anyone's view of any brand in NZ is subjective based on where you live and who you know. Burton have been here for a long time, but that doesn't make them loved. As someone who's been within this industry for a long time I definitely see more people preferring to buy other brands. End fucking story.

#14 · (Edited)
:dizzy: Geez I think your've hit your head few to many times....talking bout context #1 you attacked me first up champ....never did I say I loved Burton just that over the last few years I've really rated the board/binding set-up i.e ICS/EST...and didn't understand why so many guys get on the hate wagon ...like yourself

In the Burton moving into the shadows comment...In my first post was replying to -dirts comment>>>"i know this from working at 2 major board shops in queenstown, and burton will be in the shadows of other, emerging labels."

you then posted....>>>

What.

Burton has been fading for a while now. And no, that's not the same for many kiwi's - most I know hate Burton as a brand and only speak well about the Bindings. I'd say we love to hate Burton more than anything.

It's hard to argue with the silent support shown for their bindings, and the biggest reason people get their boots is for the warranty and availability. As for the boards? fuck knows why people buy it other than the name.

--So if Burton is fading who's taking over ??

#16 ·
I will not buy Burton for one very simple reason...

THEY SPONSOR THE GINGER KNOB JOCKEY...!!! And he don't give out free handies to his fans...

:laugh:

#17 ·
Fwiw a company with a dominant market share can "fade" without another company "taking over". If they had a 90% market share that has steadily declined down to, say, 60%, they would be fading. Unless that 30% goes to one company, I wouldn't say anybody is taking over.

#18 ·
Guys, Burton is going nowhere. Yes their popularity will ebb and flow but minus a huge fuck up on their part they will be the dominant brand anywhere. Colorado? Never Summer land? I bet Burton outsells by a large margin.

Yes they will fade, lose market share, and gain it back. They are the Walmart of snowboarding. I dislike a lot of what they do but they are a wholly rider owned company. They are snowboarders and it should count for a little something. Yes they are the big kids on the block and for better or worse they define main stream snowboarding.

The good news that those of us who really like unique and innovative products can look elsewhere and let people know. The smart ones listen, the chumps keep buying Burton.

#19 ·
Burton nz rocks

Just got myself new board "Burton Aftermath" should go great with the Cartels ....was really impressed with the Burton Custom X last season ....such a aggressive board ...hit some serious:)dizzy:breaking bones ) warp speeds down a few of the Remarks shoots ....
the Boys at R&R Qtn A grade Like I can walk in round a month to season open and pick up new to demo gear for least half of retail price then as the Gear is Liked/trusted can sell after abusing for 2-3 years like I did with my 07 Burton JJ and still get least half of my money back >>>>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.