Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Sidecountry runs - where? what skills?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
Peyto

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
2nd part: Suppose we're lucky and get huge dumps in the weeks we'll be in the area. How huge is huge? What boards/sizes do you use/recommend for these amounts of fresh? I'm pretty sure my Flagship 158 will float with my 120lbs in whatever I can expect, but husband (190lbs, 6’, boot size 9) was not completely happy with his Raptor 164 in the 16in/40cm pow we met this season and was considering getting a bigger board anyway.
40cm overnight is the biggest I've seen in the past few seasons, but I'm sure there have been bigger days than that. Looking back anecdotally the majority of legit powder days I've been in have been in the 25cm range overnight. These dumps can last multiple days so doing a bit of work for your turns can reward you with deep stuff. I'm sure theres data out there with more specifics, and other people probably have different insight than me but that is just what I've gleaned from my experiences.

It's generally a pretty dry powder, although at least once last year a system from Alaska came in that dropped some pretty heavy stuff, but lots of it.

None of my crew has a dedicated pow board, but none of us have had any problem just setting back (sometimes all the way) our freeride boards - Yes Pick Your Line seems to have done the best, while personally I have no complaints with my Raptor. Set back with a bit of a taper and that centre rocker makes it pretty fun.

Last edited by Peyto; 06-19-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Peyto is offline   Reply With Quote