Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Sidecountry runs - where? what skills?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #38 (permalink)
karkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Some more questions concerning the cat/pow holiday in Revelstoke/Golden/Lake Louis/Fernie area.

1st part: I'm eyeing on a Venture split, probably the Zephyr (any hints on Venture splits are highly appreciated). Since I won't be able to demo Venture boards here, I thought it could be a good souvenir from Canada. Can anybody recommend a good local shop in the area? (not a big store with kids as shop assistants; I’d prefer smaller shops with guys who have tried the stuff they’re selling)
im not sure that you can get a Venture in the hood here. in Calgary theres Splitboard HQ, i think thats it if you're set on a Venture. if you want a souvenir thats actually Canadian you should check out a Trapper, you could buy one strait from the factory here in Revvy. other shops you could look at are Higher Ground in Golden and Free Spirit in Rev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
2nd part: Suppose we're lucky and get huge dumps in the weeks we'll be in the area. How huge is huge? What boards/sizes do you use/recommend for these amounts of fresh? I'm pretty sure my Flagship 158 will float with my 120lbs in whatever I can expect, but husband (190lbs, 6’, boot size 9) was not completely happy with his Raptor 164 in the 16in/40cm pow we met this season and was considering getting a bigger board anyway.
yah Peyto's pretty much on it there, 40cms overnight is pretty skookum around here, but if you're thinking O/B, B/C, cat ski, you'll be looking at storm snow, not just at what's new since the lifts stopped spinning the previous day. We typically get from 50 - 150+ cms in a storm, over say 2-5 days. that's revvy, if your talking about golden call it 25 overnight, 30 - 100 in a storm. Louise say 20 overnight and 30 - 70 in a storm. if you're around in the spring, april / may, the rockies get better. for fernie.... roll the dice, you could get 60 overnight and go from hero to zero by lunch time, or get another 60 that day.
i'm 6' also, but 175# and size 11, i'm pretty happy on my 169 wide raptor when it dumps here, if he doesn't want to go big in length he might consider a mid wide model for extra float.

Last edited by karkis; 06-19-2013 at 07:36 PM.
karkis is offline   Reply With Quote