Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Wolf Creek going to burn?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

Default Wolf Creek going to burn?

The West Fork Complex fire looks to be right on the back side of Alberta Peak. The Ski area cam looks to have smoke in the picture. It's grainy, but I am pretty sure that is a flume.

The map at the Denver Post has a decent outline of the fire line. Not sure how accurate it is, but there is a lot of good backcountry terrain on the North side of the highway it looks to threaten. One of those areas being Gibbs Creek, which would suck. That is 45 degree trees and those trees provide some safety from slides in a dangerous spot. If they get burnt out, that area becomes a whole lot more sketch.

Even worse the town of South Fork on the east side of the pass has been evacuated. Fire officials are painting a glum picture of the town surviving. That would suck.

Wolf Creek pass is one of my favorite places to go backcountry riding in the state. I don't do it every year, but I've been down there several times. It is a special place. Cross your fingers.
killclimbz is online now   Reply With Quote