Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Wolf Creek going to burn?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
linvillegorge
Veteran Member

It sucks. With a fire like this there's just not shit that can be done. It's too dangerous to get firefighters in there on the ground and it's so hot that shit dropped from planes evaporates before it hits the ground. You just gotta get the fuck out of the way. The problem is that the weather looks bad for fire fighting and great for fire growing over the next week to week and a half. At this point, I think it's a foregone conclusion that this fire burn South Fork tomorrow and surpasses the Hayman Fire before all is said and done, maybe by a lot. Hell, meanwhile, that goddamn fire is STILL smoldering around up in RMNP. Evidently that canyon it's in has forest litter up to 20' deep so the damn thing is basically burning underground like a damn coal mine fire - that's how it survived the winter snow. Who knows how long that thing will smolder.

It's only a matter of time before this type of fire hits Summit/Vail. With all the beetle kill, every lightning strike could spark this type of blaze. It happens in a remote area and by the time you can get fire fighters back there, it's already too late.

Last edited by linvillegorge; 06-22-2013 at 12:16 AM.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote