Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Summer hobbies/activities
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
neni
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstop13 View Post
not really struggling with any thing at this point. Just starting out to be honest. Haven't made any gear purchases. I mainly just hike with a old backpack I had from college. I was just looking for any advice on useful gear, or things to avoid, etc.
For several day hikes, get a good backpack suiting your height. Had to carry a 44lbs backpack on our Patagonia treck (wasn't intended like that but shit happens...), so over one third of my weight. Didn't had a very good backpack. Hip and shoulder straps were padded but didn't fit me very well. Had huge hematomas at hip bones from the hip girth after the first day. No fun to mount the backpack the next day again (but the treck was awsome anyway )

Minimize weight! Get light weight tent/sleepingbag/pan/cutlery/ a.s.o. Measure/ration the amount of e.g. coffee needed to stay human and put it into a light freezer bag instead of a full glass. Ask in a pharmacy for small toothpaste and suncream samples, get a detergent that will work for cutlery, clothes and body as well. If you're afraid of germs or got an delicate digestion and unsure if river water is clean enough, you can purify it with chloride tablets (e.g. Micropur Products - Katadyn Products Inc.. They also got a solution to get rid off the chloride stench).

Before you leave for a longer treck, be sure your feet get used to the hiking boots. First time with new stiff boots I just walked them some days and endet up with inflamation at the achilles tendons at both legs the second day hiking . Was lucky that Ireland is rather flat cause I hiked stiff feeted like a pengiun. Befor the next treck I've worn the boots every day for two weeks

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote