Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Summer hobbies/activities
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #30 (permalink)
tigre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
Going light with minimal stuff is all good until one of your crew gets hurt 10 miles into a 22 mile round trip day hike.....
What are you bringing that's going to make that so much easier? Crutches? A spine board? You can make a splint with sticks or hiking poles and stop bleeding with a t-shirt. Much more of an injury than that and there's no way anyone's bringing enough gear to treat it. Bring a PLB if you're that worried. Traveling light helps prevent injury by allowing you to have more energy and agility. Cutting down the weight of your major items (tent, sleeping gear, pack) and leaving unnecessary items would also allow you to carry more emergency gear for the same or less weight than you're carrying now.

I'm much happier since I started carrying less. With some newly acquired gear, my base weight is going to be just a tick over 10lbs (not including food or water, but I only carry 20oz of water anyways - it's pretty wet here). Just got an alcohol stove and am super happy with it and the crazy light anodized aluminum pot I got with it. Shaved a pound off just my cook kit. When I get my 2lb TarpTent in I'll be able to do an overnight with my REI Flash 30 pack. Besides making it easier to go further and hike burlier terrain, cutting all that weight will allow me to take more camera gear. And for me a lot of the appeal of backpacking is the mental exercise of carrying exactly what you need and not having a bunch of unnecessary clutter. I do carry a 44 Magnum though (the S&W Airweight version). We've got big critters around here.

Last edited by tigre; 07-02-2013 at 02:07 AM.
tigre is offline   Reply With Quote