Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Burton Snowboards

6K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  SGoldwin 
#1 ·
looking for peoples opinion on the Burton custom and custom flying v. I know that the custom is camber and will be better on groomers and icy conditions and the flying v is a hybrid and is more playful and better in pow, but I am wondering how drastic this comparison is. Are both boards fairly close to each other or is it like night and day difference between the two. Also wondering how catchy the custom is in comparison to other cambered boards out there.

#2 ·
I put two seasons (so around 30 days) on a 2012 custom camber didn't find it catchy at all. I can't compare it to the flying v model since i've only been on the camber board; main reason being that reviews on here said flying v washed out easily. I would say best starting point for a general comparison of the two models would be to call rider services, and then from there hit the forum with a detailed question for one or the other.

#4 ·
haven't really looked at it. I want something that is playful, but can still hold an edge when i need it. I have heard that the flying v washes out a lot, so I am skeptical of getting that board. I kind of figured the cambered custom would be the way to go I would just have to put more effort into my butters and stuff. I am also kind of skeptical how the camber floats in pow as well.

#7 ·
I guess it depends on what type of flex the custom has. A custom x may not be a good choice for you if you want enough for playfulness and butters. My misunderstanding...I have a custom x, which is very stiff, but holds well on ice and groomers. But I also have a Forum hybrid deck, they call the doubledog, and have never had issues riding on groomers since packed snow is all I have where I live. To me, it's my all mountain board as well as park board. I have taken it out west in pow and it does well also. If you could demo it, it would be a better idea before you spend some jack. Just depends on your terrain and needs. Either way, you can't go wrong with a cambered board. If it suites you.

#9 ·
I've ridden quite a few burton boards in camber and Flying V. If you want best edge hold in ice go camber. If you want fun playful and good handling in powder go Flying V. Custom is a good all round board in both formats, it's a matter of preference, or go two boards for different conditions, such as custom camber or custom X for hard charging and ice and Sherlock or custom Flying V or Antler for soft snow.

#10 ·
Have always ridden a stiff camber board until I recently bought a Burton Antler, have mixed feelings about it. It is easy as hell to ride and impossible to catch an edge on (not literally I should imagine), when I go riding with the Mrs, its perfect for slower speeds, shallower terrains, powder and playing around the mountain.

Then had a day out with some mates, riding the black diamonds, steep thin cat tracks and fairly fast. I had the worst day I have had on a snowboard in years, felt like a beginner again, heel chatter, washing out, all over the place on cat tracks. I have no doubt this is partly down to technique and adapting to the board, but I wished so hard I had put my old board in the car.

Sure time will tell if I can fix these problems and improve my technique overall, love the new board, sure it will push my riding and force me to address some technique issues but also not similar at all to my stiff camber.

hope this helps

#5 ·
Hey CK

My daughter rides a Feelgood Flying V. It is her "go to" deck on soft / powder days. Fun, easy going ride.

However, on hardpack or icy days ( we ride ice coast ) she has a fully cambered deck she jumps on. The flying V profile is an easy washout in these conditions.

There are lots of Burton demo days out there. Don't know where you ride, but as soon as you can, get out and demo and then you can make the call for yourself.

Good Luck !!

#11 ·
That Antler is, IMO, the best looking board I have seen. I don't like the new graphic for 2014 and can't even find any of the 2013 models anymore. I know you don't buy a board for its graphics, but I am definitely not going to ride a board with a bunch of goth skull crap on it. Thanks for the input on the your experience with the antler. If you were to do it over again would you still get that board?

#12 ·
For sure, in good conditions this thing is fun as hell, has encouraged a whole new playful side to my riding. I think learning to ride this in tough conditions will only improve my riding and force me to exaggerate my technique as an intermediate rider tryin to progress to advanced. I do like having my stiff camber board in my quiver though for when I want speed or to push myself on the steeps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.