TRice Split or Arbor Split?? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
mhaas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my Gnu Billy Goat. That thing is built like a tank. Its pretty stiff and can take a beating. But its pretty heavy compared to other splits and as I mentioned early, the c2bx profile makes it harder to skin in certain situations.
mhaas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaas View Post
I love my Gnu Billy Goat. That thing is built like a tank. Its pretty stiff and can take a beating. But its pretty heavy compared to other splits and as I mentioned early, the c2bx profile makes it harder to skin in certain situations.
I like the Billy Goat, they just dont make it long enough. I was looking for something around 164. I know there is people out there that will argue that 2cm is not much of a diffrent but i think diffrent. Thanks for the recomendation.
PNWsnow is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 11,164
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWsnow View Post
No particular reason for the two boards, they are just one that people have recomended to me. All of my solid boards are Libs or Gnus.

I was looking at the jone solution but read they have quality problems.I will be riding around the Calgary area mostly. Do you have any recomendations? I just want a sold trust worthy board that is going to last more than a season.
Venture and Never Summer both make super bomber splits. I got to demo the Prospector last season and the flat spot under the touring brackets does solve a lot of the climbing issues with rocker. I had good traction in some icy spots where I have slipped before last spring. It also keeps the rocker between the feet feel you'd expect out of aboard with the rocker camber profile.

Venture's just skin great. Flat between the feet means you are getting a ton of skin contact. One of the best for skinning. Everyone really seems to like the Zelix. That one or the Zephyr would probably be the models you would want to look at. Pretty outrageous float with Venture's too. Their boards are built very well for floating in powder.

The Rossi XV is also a great board. Pretty tough too. The one I demo'd had an extruded base and though that doesn't sound as good as a sintered base, an extruded base can take a beating. There were some serious rock hits on that board and it barely left a mark on the base. I also did not have any issues with glide. I was pretty much getting to the same spots before losing speed as with any other board. The board does have camber between the bindings, but not very pronounced.

I think any of those three would do the job for you. Along with what you are already looking at.

Last edited by killclimbz; 11-11-2013 at 06:52 AM.
killclimbz is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
Venture and Never Summer both make super bomber splits. I got to demo the Prospector last season and the flat spot under the touring brackets does solve a lot of the climbing issues with rocker. I had good traction in some icy spots where I have slipped before last spring. It also keeps the rocker between the feet feel you'd expect out of aboard with the rocker camber profile.

Venture's just skin great. Flat between the feet means you are getting a ton of skin contact. One of the best for skinning. Everyone really seems to like the Zelix. That one or the Zephyr would probably be the models you would want to look at. Pretty outrageous float with Venture's too. Their boards are built very well for floating in powder.

The Rossi XV is also a great board. Pretty tough too. The one I demo'd had an extruded base and though that doesn't sound as good as a sintered base, an extruded base can take a beating. There were some serious rock hits on that board and it barely left a mark on the base. I also did not have any issues with glide. I was pretty much getting to the same spots before losing speed as with any other board. The board does camber between the bindings, but not very pronounced.

I think any of those three would do the job for you. Along with what you are already looking at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWsnow View Post
I like the Billy Goat, they just dont make it long enough. I was looking for something around 164. I know there is people out there that will argue that 2cm is not much of a diffrent but i think diffrent. Thanks for the recomendation.
Thanks for all the info. After a good talk with the guy at the local shop I ended up buying the Billy Goat 162. The reason I went with the Billy Goat it, I have been mostly ridding the mervin products. I like the set back and it is a stiff board. I know it is well made.

On a side note while at another shop I was looking at the jones solution and noticed some poor. On one one of the splits the there was a 1mm gap between the base material and the nose edge. I could see the core material. In addition the inside edges didn't line up. Was really suprised that I saw that poor quality in a new board. Should of taken a picture, my bad.
PNWsnow is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 11,164
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I think you are fine with the BG. Everyone really seems to like it. I wish Mervin did full wrap around edges. At least on their split line. Probably a non issue. There is just a lot more small impacts. Skinning and such. Then again if you delam it, probably means a new board. That ain't bad.

I've been lucky to be able to take out several different splits over a season. Ultimately it is best if you can try before you buy. So if you know what you are getting not a bad idea to go with it.

For the Solution. Was that a current season model? I was under the impression that the run two seasons ago had problems, but last year was fine overall. The carbon Solution sure looks nice but damn that would suck if it had construction issues after dropping that amount of cash.

Last edited by killclimbz; 11-11-2013 at 06:53 AM.
killclimbz is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 5,207
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Love BG split 159...@ 180#. Last year, I didn't make it out bc much, but rode the hell out of it inbounds and its held up. I thought about getting a 162 but my reasoning (perhaps faulty...idk but haven't had any problems so far)...was if its really deep, am I going to be out there in higher avy risk..No...I'd be riding inbounds and the easy slack goods...and if really deep I'd do my 164 C Slasher. And do I really want a bigger pow board when its just 8-10" and can I get by with with 159...Yes; (btw for inbounds usual days a solid BG 156 would be ideal). Thus asking myself what are the most usual conditions that I would be in BC skinning around and having a good size to deal with varied ice, slush, corn and hopefully fair bit of pow...thus chose the 159.

Also Wish it had full wrap edges.

Idk anything about skinning compared to other board profiles but ordered crampons with this year's Spark Afterburners figuring crampons should take care of most any slippage issues...but idk. I just wish they would hurry the F#$% up and get here already...folks are already hitting it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wrathfuldeity is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 11,164
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Hopefully you get them soon. Looking forward to going pinnless myself.
killclimbz is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
I think you are fine with the BG. Everyone really seems to like it. I wish Mervin did full wrap around edges. At least on their split line. Probably a non issue. There is just a lot more small impacts. Skinning and such. Then again if you delam it, probably means a new board. That ain't bad.

I've been lucky to be able to take out several different splits over a season. Ultimately it is best if you can try before you buy. So if you know what you are getting not a bad idea to go with it.

For the Solution. Was that a current season model? I was under the impression that the rin two seasons had problems, but last year was fine overall. The carbon Solution sure looks nice but damn that would suck if it had construction issues after dropping that amount of cash.
The solution was this years board. Still had some of the shipping plastic on it! Hopefully it was a one of a kind.
PNWsnow is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I returned an Abacus after testing it out inbounds - when in ride mode the 2 halves rubbed together and sounded like plywood about to break.

Also, you might want splitboard crampons - I got some Mr Chomps and love them - skinning up steep and slipping backwards drove me crazy!

Arbor Westmark, NS SL, Signal Rocker, Signal Rocker Light, K2 Panoramic Split
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Becca M is offline  
Reply

Tags
boards, splitboard

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome