I was at REI a week ago and I spotted a set of K2 skins for $82 . They normally retail for $200 but this one was previously opened and returned back to the store. $118 savings, their loss; my gain.
K2 uses a unique system for the attachment of climbing skins to their splitboards and skis. There is a hole at the tip and tail of each board where a "z-clip" hooks into.
As a result, there is over a dozen set of K2 skins. One for each size and model of ski or splitboard. K2 also makes a "trim to fit" skin that comes in several different lengths.
For $82, I thought I would see if could get the 125mm wide, 167cm long skins to fit on my 162cm K2 Panoramic. There was two problems. The first, these were 167cm and my board is a 162. They were meant to be trimmed to the correct width BUT the length is not meant to be modified. The second problem is the skins didn't line up correctly. These skins were meant to be used with K2 skis and the holes in the splitboard are offset from center
The solutions were easy enough. The z-clips were sewn on to the tips and tail. They came off pretty easily. I inserted a knife between the z-clip and the skin to cut it loose. I cut about 6cm off the tip in the same shape that it came from the factory. After cutting one skin I tested to make sure it was the correct length. The scrap piece of skin that I just cut off was used as a template to mark and cut the second skin.
The hooks on these skins were centered on the skins but the holes on the snowboard were offset by 0.75cm. The skins, as is, were barely wide enough so the offset left the skin laying crooked and the base exposed. The tips of the skins were tapered. I wanted to keep the same shape of the taper so I shifted the triangular taper over 0.75cm. The scrap from the first skin was flipped over and used and a template for the second skin.
After test fitting, I found that the skin laid pretty straight and it wasn't necessary shift over the tail hook.
I didn't have any means of sewing the rubber z-clip to the skin so I took them to the local cobbler across the street where I knew they had a heavy-duty sewing machine. I had him sew the clips back on for a nominal fee. Brought them back home from the cobbler's a couple of days later and trimmed them to the correct width with the tool that K2 provides with the skins.
Here is the final product:
And for reference, this is what the skin made specifically for the K2 Panoramic looks like:
Sorry about the SUPER LONG
post. Before I did this I tried to do some research on the internet to see if this is even possible or how well it would fit but I wasn't finding a whole lot of information. If anyone comes across the same problem, I hope this is at least a little bit useful.