Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Back Country Travel (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/back-country-travel/)
-   -   Good article from backcountry.com (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/back-country-travel/127457-good-article-backcountry-com.html)

Listheeb21 02-12-2014 05:43 PM

Good article from backcountry.com
 
Out of Bounds, Sidecountry, Slackcountry: It’s All Backcountry | Backcountry.com

LuckyRVA 02-12-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Avalanche pros acknowledge that snow science is inexact and the risk is never zero. They’re increasingly encouraging resort riders to pack their avy equipment when skiing in-bounds, mainly on steep, ungroomed terrain on powder days. Is this necessary?
Interesting article. Anyone here pack avy gear when riding in bounds? That strikes me as a bit silly.

Bamfboardman 02-12-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyRVA (Post 1532105)
Interesting article. Anyone here pack avy gear when riding in bounds? That strikes me as a bit silly.

I know a kid who wears a beacon which isn't silly. We have slides in bounds all the time. I was riding with a few friends last weekend and one of the kids cut out a nice slab and triggered a good sized slide. Nobody was buried or injured but still.

LuckyRVA 02-12-2014 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamfboardman (Post 1532129)
I know a kid who wears a beacon which isn't silly. We have slides in bounds all the time. I was riding with a few friends last weekend and one of the kids cut out a nice slab and triggered a good sized slide. Nobody was buried or injured but still.

I took "avy equipment" to mean backpack and shovel as well. At any rate, are avalanches really that common in bounds? Perhaps my east coast experience is skewing my perception.

Bamfboardman 02-12-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyRVA (Post 1532153)
I took "avy equipment" to mean backpack and shovel as well. At any rate, are avalanches really that common in bounds? Perhaps my east coast experience is skewing my perception.

I mean I don't want to scare you but at the Bird on pow days when it has snowed all night, yes. Usually ski patrol handles there shit but I've had times when there have been large slides coming down onto me or I have triggered them. In my experience nobody has gotten hurt but it has happened. Just depends on how on top of things ski patrol is. Also at the bird they do have side country areas where you can only enter with avy equipment. So it may be worth it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2