Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Back Country Travel (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/back-country-travel/)
-   -   Airbag backpacks w/o cartridges - news? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/back-country-travel/141794-airbag-backpacks-w-o-cartridges-news.html)

neni 06-30-2014 06:14 AM

Airbag backpacks w/o cartridges - news?
 
I've found three brands:
- JetForce used by Black Diamond Avalanche Airbag Revolution: Fan/Battery Powered Airbag = Black Diamond's "Jetforce" | SnowBrains.com
- and also JetForce used by PIEPS http://www.pieps.com/en/inhalt/pieps-jetforce
- and read about Arc'teryx designing a cartridge-free airbag with electro powered turbine as well (ARCā€™TERYX Evolutionary, Life-saving Airbag Rescue System | ADT) but haven't found any newer info.

Anyone knows more? Seen such a system? Thoughts?

killclimbz 06-30-2014 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have seen the JetForce. It is pretty slick. BD is doing a small run for this upcoming season. It will be hard to get and full price. $1200+.

The Arc'teryx version seems to have stalled out. Not a mention of it at SIA. I suspect they wanted to see BD's version to help gauge where they are at.

The JetForce was the scene stealer at the show. It could very well be a game changer. I have a few questions about it but it does seem to be very thought out.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

West Baden Iron 06-30-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killclimbz (Post 1741066)
I have seen the JetForce. It is pretty slick. BD is doing a small run for this upcoming season. It will be hard to get and full price. $1200+.

The Arc'teryx version seems to have stalled out. Not a mention of it at SIA. I suspect they wanted to see BD's version to help gauge where they are at.

The JetForce was the scene stealer at the show. It could very well be a game changer. I have a few questions about it but it does seem to be very thought out.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

That does look like a slick system. One thought about the cartridge type that I always had was accidental deployment. I figured I would somehow set it off right before I dropped in and then have a useless tool when I needed it the most. Probably not likely, but I'm highly skilled at doing things that make people say, "How did you fuck that up?"

killclimbz 06-30-2014 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have had a friend accidentally deploy his airbag when we were in the field. Fucking funny but that meant he had shot his wad. So it can and does happen. It is nice that with the JetForce you get multiple deployments with one charge.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Argo 06-30-2014 09:10 PM

Checked it out with a rep that had one from SIA. It's a great design and cool system but my only worry is extreme cold and batteries. Great concept but I would wait a year or two for bugs to work out and use what is known to be reliable until then.

killclimbz 07-01-2014 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I doubt "Extreme" cold is going to be much of an issue unless you are doing McKinley or something of that nature. It is already rated for 20 below temps. You lose a deploy or two. That isn't really the worry.

The pack itself will probably get some refinements. This is a product that BD has had their athletes using for over 3 years now, so I would think it is getting fairly dialed.

It is not going to be easy to get one next season anyway. The production is supposed to be something like 1000 units for all of their retailers globally. I wasn't even thinking about looking at getting one until 15/16 season. By then I would imagine the battery size and weight will have shrunk. That would be worth the weight alone.

neni 09-17-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killclimbz (Post 1741066)
I have seen the JetForce. It is pretty slick. BD is doing a small run for this upcoming season. It will be hard to get and full price. $1200+.

Have you seen the Pieps JetForce pack as well? If so, which made the better impression? Could get my hands on both. Thinking back at the hassle flying with the cartridges I'm highly intrigued to get a JetForce for this season

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 1741498)
Checked it out with a rep that had one from SIA. It's a great design and cool system but my only worry is extreme cold and batteries. Great concept but I would wait a year or two for bugs to work out and use what is known to be reliable until then.

BD or Pieps?

Argo 09-17-2014 08:41 PM

Bd...........

binarypie 09-17-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neni (Post 1817833)
Have you seen the Pieps JetForce pack as well? If so, which made the better impression? Could get my hands on both. Thinking back at the hassle flying with the cartridges I'm highly intrigued to get a JetForce for this season



BD or Pieps?

my current pack is a BD and I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Argo 09-17-2014 09:38 PM

She is specifically talking about a bd pack with some new tech in it. It's fan blown air instead of compressed.....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2