can u rent beacons? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto, CA
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
can u rent beacons?

just wondering for those that cannot afford a beacon (or perhaps forgot to pack it on a trip/lost luggage etc)?

thanks.
marcdeo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
 
snowvols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can just depends where you go. Just make sure you practice a ton before you actually go out with it so you know how to use it properly. If it hits the fan that's the wrong time to learn how to use it.
snowvols is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdeo View Post
just wondering for those that cannot afford a beacon (or perhaps forgot to pack it on a trip/lost luggage etc)?

thanks.
You can rent them at some shops and heli/cat companies give them to you.


Having a beacon in not enough... you need a lot of practice with the particular model you are using so you know how to read it. So renting one (aside from using one as part of a heli/cat ski tour where there are well-trained guides) is again very foolish (basically suicidal).

Last edited by lonerider; 01-06-2012 at 04:20 PM.
lonerider is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto, CA
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
You can rent them at some shops and heli/cat companies give them to you.

There is really no excuse for forgetting to pack it or losing it in the luggage (carry-on), I wouldn't ride in the backcountry with someone who isn't even dependable enough to remember their beacon
Not trying to start an argument, but I disagree. People forget shit all the time. and there are a MILLION reasons why someone might forget to pack a beacon OR not have it with them - Luggage gets lost, perhaps you got robbed. Your bag was stolen. You specifically told your wife to grab your pack and instead she grabed your shaving kit. Perhaps it got run over and you cannot afford to spend another $500 on a beacon AT THIS MOMENT. better still, perhaps you have children, and with the GAZZILION things you need to remember, you forgot to pack it - you HAD it out and organized and laying by the luggage, but with a crying toddler and a nagging wife, it slipped your mind for the briefest of moments and you zip up your luggage (assuming the beacon is under the diapers) and realize it wasn't when you get to the chalet. And now all of a sudden I'm irresponsible and not trust worthy to ride with? That's just nonsense.

I see the point you are trying to make. I truly do. But let's try and get practical for just a moment and not generalize EVERY situation as irresponsible actions. Buddy, I have a toddler and at times, when packing for vacations, shit slips your mind - and it's NOT because I'm irresponsible. It's called life. And I dont know about you, but MY carry on has baby bottles, diapers, baby wipes, passports, wallet, some healthy snacks for my child, activities to keep her busy on the plane.... well, you see my point.

as to your other points and those mentioned numerous times by numerous people - Working knowledge of the beacon and HOW TO USE IT IS ESSENTIAL. I wouldn't want to have someone looking for me learning their beacon through trial by fire.

Last edited by marcdeo; 12-11-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo
marcdeo is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
 
ThunderChunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kissing Bridge
Posts: 1,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdeo View Post
Not trying to start an argument, but I disagree. People forget shit all the time. and there are a MILLION reasons why someone might forget to pack a beacon OR not have it with them - Luggage gets lost, perhaps you got robbed. Your bag was stolen. You specifically told your wife to grab your pack and instead she grabed your shaving kit. Perhaps it got run over and you cannot afford to spend another $500 on a beacon AT THIS MOMENT. better still, perhaps you have children, and with the GAZZILION things you need to remember, you forgot to pack it - you HAD it out and organized and laying by the luggage, but with a crying toddler and a nagging wife, it slipped your mind for the briefest of moments and you zip up your luggage (assuming the beacon is under the diapers) and realize it wasn't when you get to the chalet. And now all of a sudden I'm irresponsible and not trust worthy to ride with? That's just nonsense.

I see the point you are trying to make. I truly do. But let's try and get practical for just a moment and not generalize EVERY situation as irresponsible actions. Buddy, I have a toddler and at times, when packing for vacations, shit slips your mind - and it's NOT because I'm irresponsible. It's called life. And I dont know about you, but MY carry on has baby bottles, diapers, baby wipes, passports, wallet, some healthy snacks for my child, activities to keep her busy on the plane.... well, you see my point.

as to your other points and those mentioned numerous times by numerous people - Working knowledge of the beacon and HOW TO USE IT IS ESSENTIAL. I wouldn't want to have someone looking for me learning their beacon through trial by fire.

Quote:
Im all for having fun, showing your tits and getting fucked up on a river float but it can be done without being a pig.
ThunderChunky is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
..........................

Last edited by lonerider; 01-06-2012 at 04:22 PM.
lonerider is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 11,229
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
lonerider, I think you are being a little over judgmental here. Over the years, I've had a couple of the best guys in the avalanche business leave their beacon behind. Stupid shit happens. It's like forgetting another essential piece of gear, your snowboard boots. Yet I bet just about every one here has done that once.

As far as renting beacons go, most shops these days rent a 3 antenna beacon. If you are well practiced with a digital beacon, 3 antenna beacons are about as easy as they come to use. I can grab any 3 antenna beacon off of a shelf, make sure I understand the basics of how it operates(turning it on, search mode, display functions) and be proficient searching with it in a hurry. Yes, you should do a drill down on how it works. As long as you understand beacon searches, it's a quick adjustment to use a 3 antenna beacon. Yes it's not ideal. Still better than not having one by a mile. If said place that rents beacons doesn't have 3 antenna beacons, then they are probably renting the DTS. Which has a high percentage chance of being the beacon you already own, or have used in the past.

Maybe asking the question before it has happened doesn't paint the best picture. To answer your question marcedo, yes places rent beacons, typically mountaineering, backcountry specialty shops. If you are doing more than a day in the bc, it'll add up fast. Traveling throws me off a bit too, if I am flying. I'm not using my usual gear bag where I store all my bc gear. The best advice I can say, is pack your must have items in a bag you are taking first.
killclimbz is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
 
ThunderChunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kissing Bridge
Posts: 1,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I forgot my fucking gloves one time. So pissed, couldn't have been something I could've ridden without like a hat or goggles.
I'm just lucky that half my high school lives at my hill. Got a pair of gloves in like five minutes.

Quote:
Im all for having fun, showing your tits and getting fucked up on a river float but it can be done without being a pig.
ThunderChunky is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Senior Member
 
TMXMOTORSPORTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Graveyard Of The Atlantic
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
I forgot my fucking gloves one time. So pissed, couldn't have been something I could've ridden without like a hat or goggles.
I'm just lucky that half my high school lives at my hill. Got a pair of gloves in like five minutes.
Ha years ago my boss forgot his skis he did not know until we got to there.How do you forget your skis
TMXMOTORSPORTS is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Wow with that kind of holier than thou, self righteous attitude, I guess "lonerider" is an apt description. Might want to be careful, your riding partners might not have much motivation for even looking for you if you got buried...

Anyway, marcdeo, there is no shame in what you ask. Hell, I got to Alaska to ride with Chugach Powder Guides and my beacon just flat fucking quit. Worked the night before but during the morning beacon check it died. Turns out it had a cold solder joint and I sent it in to get repaired. I just borrowed one from the company and was set. Good thing I wasn't with "Mr perfect" there....

One thing I would always do though if renting, is to put in your own brand new set of Alkalines in it to be 100% sure and spend some time doing some practice searches.
You guys are right. I apologize. I over-reacted/misinterpreted the OP post, projecting my own personal situations into the conversion.

I recently got into a big argument with a friend of mine as he continually recommends to people to cut the out of bounds and trail closure lines for powder. He particularly cited resorts in Japan (which don't use explosives for avalanche control due to WWII restrictions). He also keeps saying that it was "perfectly safe" since it wasn't "vertical like steepness". I ended up having to try and dissuade this excited people from immediately going out of bounds per his sugestions.

Finally, I convinced him it was dangerous and then he sent me a miffed email later chastising at me for "not telling" him that you could suffocate in a tree well. He admits that while I have been warning people for decade about the dangers of tree wells, but always thought that the people die because of head injuries (or they knocked themselves out and only then suffocate) not that a "experienced rider could" simply fall into one of these 6-8 feet holes and get trapped injured and suffocate.

Last edited by lonerider; 12-12-2011 at 10:35 AM.
lonerider is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome