Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Back Country Travel (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/back-country-travel/)
-   -   "Snowshoes" seen in Jeremy Jones Further (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/back-country-travel/50863-snowshoes-seen-jeremy-jones-further.html)

hikeswithdogs 11-05-2012 07:50 AM

"Snowshoes" seen in Jeremy Jones Further--VERTS
 
So I've watched Jeremy Jones further about 10 times now and after a really unfun steep icy splitboard ascent up towards gods lawn-more last year with Snowvols I'm interested in the snowshoes I saw the Further Crew wearing for steep ascents.

Has anyone here used them?

Thanks!

EIDT....OK their called verts these seem to a look a little different but supposedly their the ones.

This is from Sarge over at Teton

"I helped design the Verts, they're made here in Utah by Pete Carney, an old college ski team buddy of mine (and no, I have no finacial interest in the company). They are designed primarily as a snow climbing tool. They work well in most conditions and often are faster than skins on slopes over 30 degrees, especially when you're spin laps. They also work great for scrambling on rocks and on hard neve snow (once Coombs had to put on crampons on a slope I was able to ascend in my Verts). I think they are worth having in your quiver of climbing devices. They work best on up to 18" of fresh on top of a supportable base."

Verts snowshoes

This sound like exactly what I want, something to deal with steep , icy switchbacks.

walove 11-05-2012 08:39 AM

spark and karakoram sell version that you attach your split binding, verts sell a set that has straps like a snow shoe.

seem ideal for hiking steep pow, dont think you could kick a step into hard snow ice with them as they are plastic. crampons would go better.

splitting on hard slick surfaces is tricky, but the better your technique is the easier it becomes. make sure your skins are cut right and you have an appropriate amount of edge showing.

hikeswithdogs 11-05-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walove (Post 534519)
spark and karakoram sell version that you attach your split binding, verts sell a set that has straps like a snow shoe.

seem ideal for hiking steep pow, dont think you could kick a step into hard snow ice with them as they are plastic. crampons would go better.

splitting on hard slick surfaces is tricky, but the better your technique is the easier it becomes. make sure your skins are cut right and you have an appropriate amount of edge showing.

I know I still have a ton to learn about splitting\skinning(and get in better shape) but if I can find something to avoid skinning up a 55' slope with a skintrack of pure ice and endless switchbacks then count me in!

This track we were on wasn't even in the Utah backcountry book, it suggested going all the way around but if you know Snowvols going the long way isn't even an option! :laugh:

mjd 11-05-2012 08:56 AM

I think they are using Spark Verts. Verts | Spark R&D | The Splitboard Binding Company

I have some on order and will be checking them out in the Northern Presidentials this winter. Lots of ice and drift to put them to the test!

killclimbz 11-05-2012 09:02 AM

Pretty sure Jeremy is using the Verts with the Karakorum interface, but that is splitting hairs. I have had Verts for years. For hiking up a steep couloir there is really nothing better. They work in any snow you can crush into. Once it gets firm, you'll need crampons.

I like the verts with the splitboard binding interface a big better. Easier to stack on your pack or in it. I think in the last 4 years I haven't used them at all. Though there are at least a couple of days that I wish I brought 'em. It's a specialty tool that you probably won't use much. Unless you're in frequently in Alaska.

hikeswithdogs 11-05-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killclimbz (Post 534526)
I like the verts with the splitboard binding interface a big better. Easier to stack on your pack or in it. I think in the last 4 years I haven't used them at all. Though there are at least a couple of days that I wish I brought 'em. It's a specialty tool that you probably won't use much. Unless you're in frequently in Alaska.

Yea of the 3-4 skins I did last year(get my setup like a month before leaving) there was only one where it was a major struggle but I would have killed for a pair.

So the normal ones are just like putting your splitboard binding on your board pucks right, so you can go right from your board to the Verts with taking your boot out of your bindings?

killclimbz 11-05-2012 09:13 AM

Well the "normal" ones use their yellow strap system. The Spark ones have pucks. Getting them on without taking your foot out can be done. Generally speaking it's easier to get out of your bindings though. You still need to rack and pack your skis, and such.

hikeswithdogs 11-05-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killclimbz (Post 534530)
Well the "normal" ones use their yellow strap system. The Spark ones have pucks. Getting them on without taking your foot out can be done. Generally speaking it's easier to get out of your bindings though. You still need to rack and pack your skis, and such.

Cool thanks a bunch for the info Killz

snowvols 11-05-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hikeswithdogs (Post 534520)
I know I still have a ton to learn about splitting\skinning(and get in better shape) but if I can find something to avoid skinning up a 55' slope with a skintrack of pure ice and endless switchbacks then count me in!

This track we were on wasn't even in the Utah backcountry book, it suggested going all the way around but if you know Snowvols going the long way isn't even an option! :laugh:

Oh come on Josh :laugh: The Agenta slide path is a totally viable option and the quickest way to get on top of Kessler. You will see this year.....

ShredLife 11-05-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hikeswithdogs (Post 534520)
I know I still have a ton to learn about splitting\skinning(and get in better shape) but if I can find something to avoid skinning up a 55' slope with a skintrack of pure ice and endless switchbacks then count me in!

this is the point at which it is important to discuss the virtues of climbing what you're planning to ride.

you don't want to get to the top of a 2-3k foot couloir having walked around it, drop in, and then in 20-100ft find out that you are in fact on top of a sheet of ice in a col with no exit but 2k under you....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2