2013 Bataleon Disaster First Impressions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2013 Bataleon Disaster First Impressions

Just got my Disaster in the mail. Haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Build quality 10/10
-Bataleon always seems to have a really high build quality. No flaws anywhere and it feels sturdy in hand.

Flex 8/10
-Seems perfect for park riding. It isn't as noodley as everyone makes it out to be, but it is definitely soft. It seems to flex fairly easily, but still feels somewhat poppy. Almost like a toned down airobic, which I thought was slightly too sift for straight up jibs.

Profile 10/10
-I can't really say much about how the profile affects its riding yet, but the tip/tail are super wide and blunted. Presses look like they will be easy to hold due to the width and how wide the actual TBT is.

Weight 6/10
-This is where this board falls short. For a 153, this thing is pretty heavy. It's nothing horrendous, but for being a straight up jib/park board, bataleon should have shaved off some weight. It's weight is comparable to that of a lib tech board. My old airobic was much lighter.


I'll update this thread later once I get to give it some use.


UPDATE:

Got some use on this thing in the past few days. All I can say is, Yeah for it! This board kills it in the park. I was completely wrong about the flex before. When actually strapped in on the hill, it feels great to be able to hold out huge presses. The flex locks out at a certain point and if you try to muscle it past that spot, your're going to slip out. The tip/tail are stiff compared to the center, giving it surprisingly great pop. It's lively on the hill with quick turns and great edge to edge response. The Jib TBT works well. Multiple times I didn't finish my spin off the rail and would have caught on my gnu. Just land flat and the board will spin out the rest for you. In comparison to my old airobic, the TBT is much wider and feels much more stable on flat base. This thing just locks down on rails, there is no other way to describe it. It also feels light and nimble on foot, which makes spins a breeze.

The board falls short in a few areas. Edge hold and stability. It seems to wash out on ice (haven't detuned it yet either) and gets chattery at higher speeds. This is to be expected with a board this flexible though. It never folded in at high speeds, just felt unstable.

Overall, 10/10 for Bataleon and their disaster so far. It's a huge improvement over my older airobic and puts my park pickle to shame in the park. Bataleon has come a long way in the past few years with perfecting their boards. Do NOT hesitate to try out/purchase one of their boards.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by I need a name; 03-02-2013 at 02:13 PM.
I need a name is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how can you rate a board on anything but looks without riding it??
baldy is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:31 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I need a name View Post
...Flex 8/10
-Seems perfect for park riding
. It isn't as noodley as everyone makes it out to be, but it is definitely soft. It seems to flex fairly easily, but still feels somewhat poppy. Almost like a toned down airobic, which I thought was slightly too sift for straight up jibs.
I don't get it
crash77 is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash77 View Post
I don't get it
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm rating the the flex on a scale of 10 (10 softest, 1 stiff). I haven't ridden it yet, but I've owned enough boards to tell how the boards "should" perform prior to using them. It is pretty flexible, but not a COMPLETE noodle like everyone says. Based on my first impressions, I guess that it should be pretty well rounded in the jump for medium sized kickers to jibs.


These are just my first impressions. I'll update this after it has been used.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I need a name is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Holland, MA
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I need a name View Post
Just got my Disaster in the mail. Haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Build quality 10/10
-Bataleon always seems to have a really high build quality. No flaws anywhere and it feels sturdy in hand.

Flex 8/10
-Seems perfect for park riding. It isn't as noodley as everyone makes it out to be, but it is definitely soft. It seems to flex fairly easily, but still feels somewhat poppy. Almost like a toned down airobic, which I thought was slightly too sift for straight up jibs.

Profile 10/10
-I can't really say much about how the profile affects its riding yet, but the tip/tail are super wide and blunted. Presses look like they will be easy to hold due to the width and how wide the actual TBT is.

Weight 6/10
-This is where this board falls short. For a 153, this thing is pretty heavy. It's nothing horrendous, but for being a straight up jib/park board, bataleon should have shaved off some weight. It's weight is comparable to that of a lib tech board. My old airobic was much lighter.


I'll update this thread later once I get to give it some use.
How stiff is the airobic, like as a jib board and pressing but can land a decent kicker?
JBoarder8 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^ The airobic is a pretty good jump and rail board, however, I found it to be a little on the stiff side for presses and ground tricks. It locked into rails well, but pressing it was a bitch. It does have a lot of pop though which makes it fun to ride. Just load up that tail and you're off.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I need a name is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Holland, MA
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I need a name View Post
^ The airobic is a pretty good jump and rail board, however, I found it to be a little on the stiff side for presses and ground tricks. It locked into rails well, but pressing it was a bitch. It does have a lot of pop though which makes it fun to ride. Just load up that tail and you're off.
What year was the airobic that you rode? Have they made it softer since? Just wondering
JBoarder8 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoarder8 View Post
What year was the airobic that you rode? Have they made it softer since? Just wondering
2010. The new ones are indeed softer. It seems as if all of their models softened up when they switched over to the blunted tips.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I need a name is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Holland, MA
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I need a name View Post
2010. The new ones are indeed softer. It seems as if all of their models softened up when they switched over to the blunted tips.
Ya I'm a big fan of the blunted tips
JBoarder8 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Updated the post.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I need a name is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome