Union Contact Pro 2014 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 6,680
Default Union Contact Pro 2014

More a first impression than a full review.

M/L with Size 8 Enders
Yes Basic 156
Slash Straight 161

If you've been here long enough you know my past with Union. There's been a lot of heat in the past. I've felt they needed to fix some things, things that I really felt were explicitly necessary. Well, they fixed them. Toe strap is now good. It grips, stays put, and is plenty conformable. Ratchets are basically the same with a small tweak that does make them a bit easier to pop.

I've expressed my fears with this binding overall. I liked the original version and with the new mini disc and full EVA underbed I was dead worried they'd be too soft in the tray and feel sloppy. So Unions whole deal of less binding contacting the board blah blah more board flex, whatever. I couldn't really give a shit. The whole board flex thing at this point in binding tech is fairly standard and honestly doesn't change much between brands. The binding definitely flexes under foot, but it does not feel sloppy. The effect is that with the binding able to flex around the mini disc under foot your boot and binding are allowed to act as one unit. Similar in end result to what Shadow Fit is designed to do with Salomon. It's good. The Basic is a mid flex all mountain deck and the Straight is a siffer pow gun. The binding was at home on both.

Overall impression: Wait for it...........




I want a pair. Yup, I want a pair of Unions, I don't need bindings so I wont be getting any, but still. Anyone see that comin? Bet ya didn't. Seriously though it's a pretty damn well done binding that you can genuinely ride on any deck you want unless you're looking for instant response and energy. And it's a plus that they're stupid light.
__________________
Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
The effect is that with the binding able to flex around the mini disc under foot your boot and binding are allowed to act as one unit.
Thanks for the initial impression; was hoping the mini disc allowed the binding to behave in such a way. Hope they'll be available in the ladies line at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I want a pair. Yup, I want a pair of Unions, I don't need bindings so I wont be getting any, but still. Anyone see that comin? Bet ya didn't. Seriously though it's a pretty damn well done binding that you can genuinely ride on any deck you want unless you're looking for instant response and energy. And it's a plus that they're stupid light.
I saw it coming ha.

Very legit of you to be unbiased and open given your past experience. Appreciate this sort of honesty. Thanks.
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Auburn,CA
Posts: 403
Default

Awesome I just got a pair to throw on my evo, should be here tomorrow, if we ever get some snow in tahoe I'll get to test them out, haven't rode a pair of unions in 3-4 years. I got high hopes
kctahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,838
Default

Is it a little stiff to put on an Evo? I ask because I'm looking for a binding that will work on a Rossignol Rocknrolla as well as something like a K2 Happy Hour/Salomon Time Machine.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Is it a little stiff to put on an Evo? I ask because I'm looking for a binding that will work on a Rossignol Rocknrolla as well as something like a K2 Happy Hour/Salomon Time Machine.
I think it would be fine. Neither the Rocknrolla nor the Happy Hour are noodles and are stiffer than the Evo anyway (well, the Rockrolla at least in the center of the board).
In fact, that Contact Pro should be wicked on Happy Hour - I am actually looking at that combination as a mess-around set-up.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Auburn,CA
Posts: 403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Is it a little stiff to put on an Evo? I ask because I'm looking for a binding that will work on a Rossignol Rocknrolla as well as something like a K2 Happy Hour/Salomon Time Machine.
I rode cartels on it all last season and didn't mind it, probley not ideal but it worked. I plan to move on to something a little stiffer than the evo sometime this year, want something more poppy, a little less buttery, something similer to the proto but not the proto,I really wanna try something more camber dominate, or a RCR board. I've really been eyeing the happy hour as well.
kctahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,838
Default

Storms are starting to sniff around Mammoth/Central Cal, so I need to make a decision quick (Happy Hour/Time Machine). Not sure why there aren't any 153 time machines to be found in the US though .... The Unions this year look pretty good just wish there was an easy to way to determine flex/fit between all the diff models.

Is there a difference between the 2014 and 2013 models?
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
UNION INHOUSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SEATTLE, WA & COLICO, ITALY
Posts: 282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
More a first impression than a full review.

M/L with Size 8 Enders
Yes Basic 156
Slash Straight 161

If you've been here long enough you know my past with Union. There's been a lot of heat in the past. I've felt they needed to fix some things, things that I really felt were explicitly necessary. Well, they fixed them. Toe strap is now good. It grips, stays put, and is plenty conformable. Ratchets are basically the same with a small tweak that does make them a bit easier to pop.

I've expressed my fears with this binding overall. I liked the original version and with the new mini disc and full EVA underbed I was dead worried they'd be too soft in the tray and feel sloppy. So Unions whole deal of less binding contacting the board blah blah more board flex, whatever. I couldn't really give a shit. The whole board flex thing at this point in binding tech is fairly standard and honestly doesn't change much between brands. The binding definitely flexes under foot, but it does not feel sloppy. The effect is that with the binding able to flex around the mini disc under foot your boot and binding are allowed to act as one unit. Similar in end result to what Shadow Fit is designed to do with Salomon. It's good. The Basic is a mid flex all mountain deck and the Straight is a siffer pow gun. The binding was at home on both.

Overall impression: Wait for it...........




I want a pair. Yup, I want a pair of Unions, I don't need bindings so I wont be getting any, but still. Anyone see that comin? Bet ya didn't. Seriously though it's a pretty damn well done binding that you can genuinely ride on any deck you want unless you're looking for instant response and energy. And it's a plus that they're stupid light.
thanks man.
UNION INHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
UNION INHOUSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SEATTLE, WA & COLICO, ITALY
Posts: 282
Default

Haha, I just discovered this section of the forum.
UNION INHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 79
Default

Does union sell this yr's toe strap separately yet? =P

I have last year's atlas and the push then pull method works. However if the new ratchet is less prone to stick then I'd be interested!
Madbob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums