Burton Diode EST - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 90
Default Burton Diode EST

So, I happened across a pair of these bindings for well below MSRP (sub 175) a few months ago from an undisclosed shop and I'm only reviewing right now—so here goes!

Ridden with 2011 158 malolo/2012 150 nug w/ sz. 9.5 Nike Zoom Force 1's @ 15/-12 for about 12 days (10 on the lolo and 2 on the nug).

First impressions:
They're light. The build quality is impressive. I own a pair of Union SLs and Flux DMCs/DS45s and as much as I love them—out of the plastic they had scuffs/molding flux/inconsistency on 'em right off the bat while the diodes had no such blemishes. I guess this sort of thing is expected from a $399 binding but it made me a bit giddy. They're super light. Hand flexing the highbacks was nigh impossible. The padding on the single carbon blade makes a weird sound. Did I mention they're super duper light?

Fit/Comfort/Adjustability
Fit perfectly. Burton has the best ratchets (smoothest actuating) in the business and their cap strap is great, though not as good as flux's—in my humble opinion.* The straps have no tool adjustment and are very comfortable despite the lack of material—it's odd they're very flexible with a good amount of give despite the hard charging nature of the bindings themselves. EST has great stance options—but the compatibility does suck ass. Basically, I enjoy the positioning variation of ESTs and I think the strap feel rivals Flux in plushness.The only thing bad I can say is that it was a chore adjusting the highback though, no FLAD so it was kinda like the Flux DMC's except with a bit more adjustment range.

Flex:
Laterally, they've got surprising give in the straps and spring in the base. The hinge tech adds a bit not only in terms of movement but also ollie power/rebound. Really the hinge was the main reason I was really interested in these. Helped me make super ollies on my nug that already weighs nothing! From back to front they're stiff as hell.

Response and Ride:
Very responsive—the combo of the stiffness in some places and give in other places make for very responsive but also very smooth bindings. I feel like they turn very smoothly and ultra quickly but aren't psychic think-and-turn quick like unions or dmcs and I think it's the flex in the base ameliorates the harshness and sudden nature of quick turns/carves. Mainly, the highback is serious business while the rest of the ride qualities were a party.

Dampness/Shock Absorbtion:
The shredbed 3.0 is good but I honestly prefer cantbeds or thinbeds on ESTs. I don't really see the point of using EST bindings for greater feel when it almost feels like I'm wearing 2000s asian girl heels under my boots—okay that's a little facetious but 3.0 beds are thick comparably to thinbeds and cantbeds. I'll say the stock cushioning isn't bad though and provides great shock absorbing but I feel that these are already comfortable enough without the weird polka dotted footbed.

Summary:
Yeah, they're overkill. Whatever. They're nice though. Worth $399+? No... well, maybe? I'd still say no—unless you're a drug dealer. If you're planning to get them, get them now before they mark them up again and sell them next year.

*I actually prefer the release mechanism on the Union Ankle Strap, the toe release is a pain in the ass though...

Last edited by 2813308004; 03-14-2012 at 10:49 PM.
2813308004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
kevindk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North York
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2813308004 View Post
So, I happened across a pair of these bindings for well below MSRP (sub 175) a few months ago from an undisclosed shop and I'm only reviewing right now—so here goes!

Ridden with 2011 158 malolo/2012 150 nug w/ sz. 9.5 Nike Zoom Force 1's @ 15/-12 for about 12 days (10 on the lolo and 2 on the nug).

First impressions:
They're light. The build quality is impressive. I own a pair of Union SLs and Flux DMCs/DS45s and as much as I love them—out of the plastic they had scuffs/molding flux/inconsistency on 'em right off the bat while the diodes had no such blemishes. I guess this sort of thing is expected from a $399 binding but it made me a bit giddy. They're super light. Hand flexing the highbacks was nigh impossible. The padding on the single carbon blade makes a weird sound. Did I mention they're super duper light?

Fit/Comfort/Adjustability
Fit perfectly. Burton has the best ratchets (smoothest actuating) in the business and their cap strap is great, though not as good as flux's—in my humble opinion.* The straps have no tool adjustment and are very comfortable despite the lack of material—it's odd they're very flexible with a good amount of give despite the hard charging nature of the bindings themselves. EST has great stance options—but the compatibility does suck ass. Basically, I enjoy the positioning variation of ESTs and I think the strap feel rivals Flux in plushness.The only thing bad I can say is that it was a chore adjusting the highback though, no FLAD so it was kinda like the Flux DMC's except with a bit more adjustment range.

Flex:
Laterally, they've got surprising give in the straps and spring in the base. The hinge tech adds a bit not only in terms of movement but also ollie power/rebound. Really the hinge was the main reason I was really interested in these. Helped me make super ollies on my nug that already weighs nothing! From back to front they're stiff as hell.

Response and Ride:
Very responsive—the combo of the stiffness in some places and give in other places make for very responsive but also very smooth bindings. I feel like they turn very smoothly and ultra quickly but aren't psychic think-and-turn quick like unions or dmcs and I think it's the flex in the base ameliorates the harshness and sudden nature of quick turns/carves. Mainly, the highback is serious business while the rest of the ride qualities were a party.

Dampness/Shock Absorbtion:
The shredbed 3.0 is good but I honestly prefer cantbeds or thinbeds on ESTs. I don't really see the point of using EST bindings for greater feel when it almost feels like I'm wearing 2000s asian girl heels under my boots—okay that's a little facetious but 3.0 beds are thick comparably to thinbeds and cantbeds. I'll say the stock cushioning isn't bad though and provides great shock absorbing but I feel that these are already comfortable enough without the weird polka dotted footbed.

Summary:
Yeah, they're overkill. Whatever. They're nice though. Worth $399+? No... well, maybe? I'd still say no—unless you're a drug dealer. If you're planning to get them, get them now before they mark them up again and sell them next year.

*I actually prefer the release mechanism on the Union Ankle Strap, the toe release is a pain in the ass though...
Thanks for your useful input!

kevin

________
pcb assembly

Last edited by kevindk; 01-22-2013 at 04:40 PM.
kevindk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member
 
ETM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nagano, Japan.
Posts: 2,090
Default

My highback cracked first day of use, I got a new one and now it has started to crack aswell. Also the little pads that seperate the highback from the heel cup will not stay on, they last a few days before falling off and changing your forward lean. I find myself having to scrape snow off the footbed almost every time I strap in, the little circle indents seem like they were engineered to trap snow and hold it.

All in all they feel awesome but they have a few flaws and are not durable at all.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BFBF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Out there....
Posts: 146
Default

I bought non est diodes the minute they came out at a sample sale in Denver a while back.

I concur with the review:
light
responsive--- the highback is VERY stiff.
comfortable = great straps and buckles.

Forward lean is complete nonsense -- It take forever to get right and is pretty much impossible to change on the fly ---(Maybe this has changed as I an early sample before they went public)

I don't ever touch my lean, so it's not a problem.

All in all, a solid, aggressive freeride binding.

What B really needs to do is bring back the CO2..
BFBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Irahi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
All in all they feel awesome but they have a few flaws and are not durable at all.
Yup, I went through four of these, along with a bunch of other breaks. I love the hell out of their performance, but the amount of time I lost to having parts shipped out over and over again was just inexcusable.
Irahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BFBF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Out there....
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irahi View Post
Yup, I went through four of these, along with a bunch of other breaks. I love the hell out of their performance, but the amount of time I lost to having parts shipped out over and over again was just inexcusable.
They need to figure out a way to simplify the Forward Lean adjust.
BFBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums