First time riding duck stance! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 23
Default First time riding duck stance!

Hi!

I'd like to give duck stance a chance this season since I want to get more into freestyle riding. In the past, I've ridden +18/+5 since I found it comfortable.

I've read some articles online and it seems most people recommend starting with +15/-15 or +15/-9.

Got any suggestions?
bigbluebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluebear View Post
Hi!

I'd like to give duck stance a chance this season since I want to get more into freestyle riding. In the past, I've ridden +18/+5 since I found it comfortable.

I've read some articles online and it seems most people recommend starting with +15/-15 or +15/-9.

Got any suggestions?
Yeah, keep the angle between your feet the same. If you ride at +18 +5 your current difference is 13 degrees. So try +6/-6 or +9/-6 to start. I find 15/15 to wide, my sweet spot it +12/-9 or so.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
trapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West of Lansing
Posts: 1,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Yeah, keep the angle between your feet the same. If you ride at +18 +5 your current difference is 13 degrees. So try +6/-6 or +9/-6 to start. I find 15/15 to wide, my sweet spot it +12/-9 or so.
I've messed with my stance angles for a while and started at +12,-9 and actually found my sweet spot at +9/-6. Weird.
__________________
2013/2014 Season
Crystal: 12
Cannonsburg: 4
Caberfae: 3
Boyne Highlands: 2
Bittersweet: 1
Boyne Mountain: 1
Holly: 1
Nub's Nob: 1

Drinking the Kool-Aid:
2013 NS Heritage 166X
2014 Union Factory
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,744
Default insert +/- for reg/goofy, assume duck

12/12 or 15/15 are very good starting points.

sometimes one notch further in the front foot is nice because it will force you into a better position for riding switch by rolling out that knee. I'm kinda torn between the 2, sometimes I like 18/12, lately 15/15.

For a directional board u never ride switch some offset is a good idea, 2 notches is nice.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
I've messed with my stance angles for a while and started at +12,-9 and actually found my sweet spot at +9/-6. Weird.
Yup yup! There are even people that come on here and say 0/0 works for them! I would considering anything between 9/9 and 15/15 to be "normal" for duck stance, but it seems like the more you board, the more you end up with your own little tweaks that you swear by!

I HAVE to hit the side of my boot before putting it into the binding. Even if there's no snow on the bottom, giving my back foot a smack psyches me up or something. I used to do it in the blue mountain park right before dropping in and it amped me up, now I do it even if I'm going to cruise the groomers
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 23
Default

Thanks everyone. I have a twin board (salomon villain). Thinking of going middle stance and 50 inches apart (I wear a size 44 suit). Maybe start at +12/-9?

Since this is the binding forum, I'll mention that I'm mounting a pair of salomon holograms on the board. It'll be my first time playing with adjustable high backs so I'm interested in seeing how they perform with the highback adjusted parallel to the board.

First time this season will be this friday! Even though we have pretty crappy snow out here in Tahoe, i'm stoked!

Last edited by bigbluebear; 01-13-2014 at 03:44 PM.
bigbluebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluebear View Post
Thanks everyone. I have a twin board (salomon villain). Thinking of going middle stance and 50 inches apart (I wear a size 44 suit). Maybe start at +12/-9?
Where you measuring this 50"!?! I wear a 42 suit jacket (if that's what you're referring to) and use a 21.25" stance width. Always measure centre to centre for stance width. Maybe 50 cm is what you're looking at, that would be 20" which may be too narrow. I had to setup my powder board at 22.25" stance width as that is the most narrow set of inserts on the board (I think it's meant for a 250 lb guy! lol), and I don't mind it at all. I thought it would feel too wide but it's not bad, the board is very surfy but I have fun on it...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluebear View Post
Thanks everyone. I have a twin board (salomon villain). Thinking of going middle stance and 50 inches apart (I wear a size 44 suit). Maybe start at +12/-9?
whoa!

gl!
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Where you measuring this 50"!?! I wear a 42 suit jacket (if that's what you're referring to) and use a 21.25" stance width. Always measure centre to centre for stance width. Maybe 50 cm is what you're looking at, that would be 20" which may be too narrow. I had to setup my powder board at 22.25" stance width as that is the most narrow set of inserts on the board (I think it's meant for a 250 lb guy! lol), and I don't mind it at all. I thought it would feel too wide but it's not bad, the board is very surfy but I have fun on it...
Haha... my math wasn't always great. Let me check again when I get back home. I basically did shoulder width apart plus two inches (one inch each side) for center to center binding mount. I think you are right... my bad! at 50 inches, i'd be doing the splits. Haha

Last edited by bigbluebear; 01-13-2014 at 03:49 PM.
bigbluebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
trapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West of Lansing
Posts: 1,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluebear View Post
Haha... my math wasn't always great. Let me check again when I get back home. I basically did shoulder width apart plus two inches (one inch each side) for center to center binding mount. I think you are right... my bad! at 50 inches, i'd be doing the splits. Haha
Just figure what your natural athletic stance is and use that as a baseline.
__________________
2013/2014 Season
Crystal: 12
Cannonsburg: 4
Caberfae: 3
Boyne Highlands: 2
Bittersweet: 1
Boyne Mountain: 1
Holly: 1
Nub's Nob: 1

Drinking the Kool-Aid:
2013 NS Heritage 166X
2014 Union Factory
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums