Malavita questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
NZRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Malavita questions

Hey there,

Was planning to upgrade the Rome390s up to 390 Bosses (keen to get canting to help out the ol knees). But some recent posts have made me look at other options.
Burton Malavitas and of course Cartels get good write ups, and have canting (am I correct that Union still do not offer this?)
Firstly, Best to point out I would be looking at the Re:flex version as going on a non Burton 4 holer.

1.) So question is, I'm assuming the 4 holer plate comes with this version out of the box. Is it able to be used so you can use the holes in a heel to toe orientation, so that I can move the binding back or forward towards the heel or toe direction (as opposed to the stance width direction)?
Reason I ask is I have big feet and with my Romes maxed out in the heel cup, only way I can get boot centred on board is to have the holes oriented this way and not use the centre hole.
I guess it is possible, as it should just be a case of rotating the disc as per my current Rome disc, but being Burton and EST compatible, I just wanted to check, anyone tried them this way and works all good out of the box with the supplied discs?

2.) Reliability and robustness of the Malavitas? good? (Klinger mentioned about the heel hammock being a potential failure point in another post, anyone see any wear and tear on this part of the binding?)

3.) What's making this a tougher decision than it should be, is whats been mentioned in other posts about Cartels actually being softer than the Vita (some of these comments are over a year old), I do want a freestyle binding (like the 390), hate rigid freeride bindings, so do I trust what Burton says on their site?
Burton officially rating it a 6 in stiffness and stating it is softer than the Cartel (the Cartel being a 7). I would say the Vita should be the one for me. Anyone had experience on the actual 2014 models to verify is Burton correct or in reality is the Cartel a slightly softer binding? What matches up closest to the 390 in reality?
Looking for good response, but some room to move if you know what I mean.

thanks for any advise,
NZRide is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Union does have canting on several models. Yes burton reflex bindings do come with 4 hole discs, there is a second set of discs that can be ordered if you need edge to edge alignment instead of nose tail. Reliability has bee good on the vita and cartel. The vita feel stiffer in the hb than the cartel, in practice it's probably not noticeable. They share the same baseplate iirc. Neither is overly stiff and probably on par with the 390.
bseracka is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 991
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Just get a set of the canted footbeds for the 390's! Really the only difference and you can get cheaper footbeds than if you bought a completely new binding. I love my 390 Bosses FTR.
lab49232 is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
NZRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
Yes burton reflex bindings do come with 4 hole discs, there is a second set of discs that can be ordered if you need edge to edge alignment instead of nose tail. .
Ahh yeah thats what annoys me about Burton, why could they not just have a normal 4 holer, any other bindings I've had could just be used in any orientation.
It makes it hard for me to order online, how do I get hold of the other base plates, ask them shop to send them also?
Sorry you may think its a retarded question. Just I am not in the U.S, its summer here and I need to buy online in the U.S for my Colorado trip in March, so need everything complete for when I arrive (I'm having it delivered to hotel), would hate to find a surprise in the box like the wrong discs, which is why I asked.

Union website sucks, I hate it how there is no useful info on the type of binding, so you have to go into them all, and even when you do, you still not get no idea of if the binding is even basically a freeride or freestyle type (reminds me of the Capita board website). Just a blurb of their own tech terms, which mean shit to me.
I just looked at the Forces and Contact because that's names I'd heard of and didn't see any mention of canting so gave up on them. If they can't advertise effectively on their own website how do they expect to peddle their shit?
NZRide is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
NZRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab49232 View Post
Just get a set of the canted footbeds for the 390's! Really the only difference and you can get cheaper footbeds than if you bought a completely new binding. I love my 390 Bosses FTR.
Unfortunately I have the older 390s, before they came out with the 2 part footbed, so not compatible with the canting footbeds.
My wife has the 2012 version with them though, I didn't think you could buy just the footbeds. Can you get them from Rome?
NZRide is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hogtown, CA
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
...The vita feel stiffer in the hb than the cartel, in practice it's probably not noticeable. They share the same baseplate iirc...
For 2014 the Reflex version has different baseplate. EST version has same baseplate.

Overall stiffness of the binding is a function of the highback, straps and baseplate combined...having said that the malavita highbacks are stiffer than the current cartel highbacks.
theprocess is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
ICary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The new 2015 Vitas are sick! Colorway is too.
ICary is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hogtown, CA
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICary View Post
The new 2015 Vitas are sick! Colorway is too.
Details? Pic?
theprocess is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 11:46 PM
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 6,805
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
the wear of the heel hammock happens but it doesnt degrade the function of the binding.

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 12:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZRide View Post
Ahh yeah thats what annoys me about Burton, why could they not just have a normal 4 holer, any other bindings I've had could just be used in any orientation.
It makes it hard for me to order online, how do I get hold of the other base plates, ask them shop to send them also?
Sorry you may think its a retarded question. Just I am not in the U.S, its summer here and I need to buy online in the U.S for my Colorado trip in March, so need everything complete for when I arrive (I'm having it delivered to hotel), would hate to find a surprise in the box like the wrong discs, which is why I asked.

Union website sucks, I hate it how there is no useful info on the type of binding, so you have to go into them all, and even when you do, you still not get no idea of if the binding is even basically a freeride or freestyle type (reminds me of the Capita board website). Just a blurb of their own tech terms, which mean shit to me.
I just looked at the Forces and Contact because that's names I'd heard of and didn't see any mention of canting so gave up on them. If they can't advertise effectively on their own website how do they expect to peddle their shit?
Bindings are designed to flex with the board, re:flex. The discs are cut so they are soft one way and stiff the other way. The ones that come with the board are intended to be mounted so you can move the bindings toe to heel. You ca actually rotate them and use the holes to adjust nose to tail, but it will mostly take away the reflex feature.
kaborkian is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome